Clincher tyres.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Clincher tyres.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

On mar 31, Mike Hanson posted numerous photos of a centredoor sedan he has for sale. Among the photos was one showing the front tyres. They are branded "Coker Tire Co" but underneath in small lettering remains "Made in Australia". They have been made using moulds which produced our Olympic brand tyres in Australia.

I have seen others in the USA with a blank where the brand is usually marked. My memory had others with Lucas in the brand box, but maybe it was Coker.

Our Olympics are legendary for their longevity. If Coker still have the moulds, I wonder if Coker could have manufactured some real tyres rather than the substandard product foisted on us today.
I won't hold my breath waiting!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:56 am:

Making a tyre is a lot like baking bread. The mould has little do to do with the content of the carcass.

I did some special sized bicycle tyres a few years back, and was able to work in the tyre factory alongside and see how it was done. We chose a mould of the correct size, then mapped out the layers and cording needed to make a tyre of the weight and pressure specification desired. We added a reflective stripe to the outside on this one too. Then, a few weeks later, presto, a container load of custom made tyres. I am sure that if someone wanted to venture to say, Vietnam, you could do the same for a Model T tyre.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration