WTB Presto-Lite Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB Presto-Lite Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

I am looking for a good Presto-Lite tank for horizontal mounting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Larry, Are you looking for one for display only, or one that can be filled and used?

I have one, but it has the guage on the bottom and can be used for display only. It does have the offset valve valve on it as needed for horizontal mounted tanks.

Keith cgumbinger@att.net 262-552-7576

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Larry; If you want one to actually use you just need a regular 'B' size tank with the off-center outlet. f you go to your local welding supply they usually have a few lying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Gary

I live in a very small town and our supplier doesn't have any, will try in another city. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I have an ancient Presto-lite tank on my 1914. I would like to use the lights. A regular welding tank with an offset valve will work? Should I use a regulator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Steve,
As a long time plumber and user of those tanks to solder,I can tell you,you absolutely need a regulator. Additionally,that acetylene is as explosive as ether starting fluid. I know of a restoration shop that blew up a gas headlight after the gas accumulated in it before they struck the match. Another fellow I knew was using that gas to start a big portable welder in cold weather and when it did fire it blew the pan right off the bottom of the engine. I don't have a vehicle with gas headlights but if I did I would be holding a long lighter in the light when the gas was turned on.FYI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Steve; B size acetylene tanks come in two styles; one with an outlet in the center, one with an outlet offset from center. The one that is offset is designed to lay down with the outlet on the 'high side'. I don't remember the exact value, but the tank is filled with about 42% acetone and the acetylene is dissolved in this to keep it stable. If you take a regular tank and place it sideways some acetone may exit the tank with the acetylene; that's why you need the tank with the offset; it is designed to address this.

I use a regular prestolite brand regulator on my tank. When you open the valve gas will flow to the headlights; make sure the doors are open, pinch off the tube to a light, blow the accumulated gas out of the headlight, then unpinch the tube and light the gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Steve,
Just for your info. The National Electric Code has classifications for different flammable gasses. Acetylene is in a class all by itself as the single most explosive. All the other classes have a list.
Gary,
One adjustment to your procedure. Put the lit match or other device next to the burner and then unpinch the tube last. Well really pull your hand out of the lamp promptly would be last!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Found one locally, thanks for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Larry has found a bottle but as others have said they can be found mixed in with the "B" tanks at the local welding supply. There were two in the stack the last time I swapped a tank.

You have to get right next to them to see the Prest-O-lites. There are two types of valves. The one in the left corner is a modern valve and works better with a small regulator. The one in the middle with the "stem" type valve is a finer thread valve and works better for the "crack the valve" that some prefer.

A "B" tank (40 cubic feet of gas) will light your headlights for 26 hours and the system works fine. I run them on my '14 and a filled tank costs less than $130.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration