WANTED: Headlights for a 1916 Model T Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WANTED: Headlights for a 1916 Model T Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan D on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Currently restoring a 1916 Model T Touring (Brass Radiator), but this car is unfortunately missing the original mag powered headlights. If anyone has and would like to sell a pair of headlights (or just the headlight buckets would be OK too) for a 1916 please PM me. Headlights or headlight buckets must be in at least restorable shape with stem mounts. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Ryan;
While there is some difference in the location of the hole for the focus screw, it's over the place where the plug mounts not to the side for 1916, so you can mount the angled plugs in the down position, there is really no such thing as mag powered headlights. There were magneto powered headlights up to 1926. It's the bulbs that are installed that would be needed. Just to be sure, Ford supplied headlights were double contact and used a single filament double contact bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I assume you are wanting the pedestal style as the forked style did extend into some 1916 models. The head lights were double contact single filament and wired in series with 9 volt bulbs. 9 volt bulbs are not available (except maybe at a swap meet), you can use 6 volt or 12 volt bulbs. The 6 volt may burn out easily if over revved and the 12 volt may be too dim if ran off the mag. There are several wiring options, one option is to use 6 volt bulbs but wire a third lamp in series in the system to consume the extra voltage, the lamp can be hidden under. Just a heads up it may be a moot point but there were different style lamp posts and fender brace brackets, the 15-16 brackets were different from the 17 through to 23. The brackets will bolt on to each others frames. These were easily mixed over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

The flat one with the square side is 15-16 the other one is 17 and later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Ryan, I sent you a PM.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan D on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Thanks everyone for the responses!

David, I'm looking for the pedestal style headlights. The 1916 T I'm restoring has a body serial # that was made in March 1916 and sold in Iowa early that same year. The previous owner replaced the headlamps with forked 1912 gas headlamps on the car back in the 1950's, but I'd like to restore this T to a more original condition. I'm fairly certain this car would have had the pedestal style electric lights in it's original condition. It has the square 1915-1916 brackets with the square sides. I've attached a couple pics of the front of the car and a close of up the current 1912 gas lamp mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan D on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Thanks Keith! Just sent you a PM reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Egerton on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

I have 3- 1915 and 1- 1916 buckets and some parts, let me know if your interested.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

There are forked style 15-16 headlight buckets that fit on the forked brackets, I have them on my 15. They may extend into 16 but not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan D on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

That's a really nice example of an early electric T headlight with fork mounts Dave! I haven't seen too many of those. For my 1916 T, the second owner told me he removed the original headlights and mounted the 1912 gas headlamps, forks and all back in the 50's so I'm pretty sure my T originally had the single pedestal mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

By 1916 they all would have post mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan D on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs! Thanks to a couple mtfca members I was able to track down a set of 1916 headlights for my restoration.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration