12 Touring on Ebay closing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 12 Touring on Ebay closing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 03:30 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232304024353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142 3.l2648

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:14 am:

Wow, sold for $20,200.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:24 am:

That's about the right price, maybe a couple of grand too low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I'll double that wow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:04 am:

This car was thoroughly discussed on this site, offered at $24K, and nobody jumped on it:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/732439.html?1489571257

eBay is pretty good at getting you fair market value with a well done listing. I'd say it is what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Ebay is not the best way to gauge the value of a vehicle as it has to be generally acquired "sight unseen". The car may have sold for much more to a person who was able to check it out up close and personal and drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Ebad, like most things connected to the computer/gamer culture, is its own little world. Many cars will sell for more money, or closer to their "best" value, on eBad than they will sell locally in a depressed or flooded market. Other cars (really desirable and/or potentially expensive cars) can be advertised and marketed through eBad. They may be able to connect with interested parties that can arrive at a fair and high end price.
Seriously or somewhat flawed cars, older restorations that maybe were not really done right to begin with, then not really well cared for? (I am not saying this '12 is really in this category)? Will often sell for above what they should (due the the additional work needed to be done). Lack of adequate inspection is one of the factors in this.
There is no one best gauge of value for antique automobiles. Major auctions? Farm auctions? Intra-club buddy marketing? All have their place, and different influences on the value. This is one of the reasons that I have never really liked appraisers (with one personal major exception!). Very few antique car appraisers understand the multiple complexities of the value of antique cars.
My personal opinion is that this '12 sold for slightly less than I think it should have. Without a firsthand examination of the car, I can't say for certain. But I think the selling price was fair. A good buy for the buyer, and not bad for the seller. A basically nice '12, missing the fore-doors, wrong color, and wrong rear end (if I recall correctly). It probably could have been enjoyed, and things corrected as you go. Or a quick freshen-up restoration, and a beautiful car! I would have loved it. Wish I wasn't broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Don't be fooled... eBay is an EXCELLENT barometer of fair market value. I've sold two dozen collectable cars on ebay over the last 10 years. When properly described, ebay is the single, best avenue for the average Joe to move his car for the best price. If the car does not sell well, then it is either a reflection of the car, or the seller was a poor marketer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

As Wayne said, "without firsthand examination of the car" you cannot be certain. That is the reason one has to consider that a sight unseen car sells for under market value. I think that an actual car auction where you can view the vehicles ahead of time would be a better barometer of a fair market price, however, the best option for a purchaser, is to see the car up front and personal before deciding its value. My three cents worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

It's the other way, Daniel. Actual car auctions often bring prices ABOVE market value because of the emotional factors. Buyers get swept up in the moment and will throw more at it than they normally would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Simply being an eBay auction does not prohibit viewing the car in person and the area in which the car sold has a strong horseless carriage population, so it's very likely it was inspected in person. It's just another way to get exposure for a sale beyond a print ad.

I have had excellent results selling on eBay and it is rare for someone to come view the car beforehand. My final sales prices have been so good that I was afraid the high bidder was bogus, but every sale was paid and the buyer was happy. Even cars I've listed that haven't sold on eBay have almost all sold as a result of eBay simply by negotiating with interested parties after the listing has ended. There's no better way that I know of to present your car to a large audience.

There are people I know that make their living this way. The big difference is the quality of the listing. People that throw up a few crappy photos and a paragraph description aren't going to get the same results as someone that puts up two-dozen good ones, gives a detailed description, and communicates clearly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration