FOR SALE: FOURTH ROD WRENCH

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FOR SALE: FOURTH ROD WRENCH
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:32 am:

Four Rod Wrench: $29.00, used when adjusting the fourth rod when you have a three dip pan. A very handy tool when your need to remove some shims from the fourth rod on a long tour. Please include $9.15 shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:33 am:

Fourth Rod Wrench:

4th rod wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:41 am:

Forgot address:

Dave Huson, 2116 Charro Ave. Longmont, Co. 8050
Phone 303-774-9246

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:51 am:

I don't think that is a rod wrench, looks like the one you need for removing a flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Mark: there is no manufacture name on this tool. I would like to share pictures of a few flywheel wrenches that I have. The DURO looks to be the same wrench and has the 11/16" permanent socket.
The one I use most for removing or installing flywheels is Black hawk. Note the socket has a thin spot to get in between the bolt and the bearing.
Blackhawk

socket thin
The next flywheel wrench I see the most is the 5-Z-210.
wrench 5-Z-210
Next is the Duro
duro

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

The one I use the most is the Blackhawk.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk socket

Notice the thin spot to clear the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I have a Duro and the Ford 5Z in my box but use a thin Snap-On socket myself, I was mot looking for a lesson in aftermarket tools...

The point I was trying to make is that the wrench you pictured is not the typical fourth rod wrench which brings your hand down out of the pan so you are not dragging your knuckles across the crank shaft or another rod cap while you are working.

A lot of these companies made tools for other makers and many look similar to the ones for Ford cars - Star Car for example used off the shelf tools from Walden-Worcester as factory shop tools equivalent to Ford 3Z and 5Z tools and I had a mid 20's Studebaker years ago where I swear the factory wheel puller in the parts catalog was an early Snap-On with multiple threaded inserts for different hubcap threads. If you look at the pictures in the Ford Service Manuals a lot of the tools for rear end rebuilding are Stevens tools.

If anyone else is interested, there is a website that gives a lot of information on early tool companies here: http://alloy-artifacts.org/ if this does not work search for Alloy Artifacts and you will find it.

I don't mean any disrespect, just trying to spread knowledge - at least I'm bumping this up for you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:18 am:

Well, I enjoyed reading about the variation in tools!
Thank you both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:36 am:

Mark: The socket is 5/8' You need a 11/16" socket for the fly wheel bolts. So you could not use the wrench in the first picture.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration