WTB - 4 Chevy rims for disk wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB - 4 Chevy rims for disk wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:55 am:

I have four disk wheels as pictured below. I am looking for four rims to fit them. I think they are 21" Chevy rims. There is no ridge around the inner diameter as there is on T rims. These are 21" rims. I have one good enough for a spare, but need four better ones to run on my speedster.

Let me know what you have and what you want for them. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Dennis P. How good, and how alike, are your steel wheels. Jaxon made a bunch of different variations of the 21 inch steel disc wheels for many reasons and specific car applications. Even just the lighter size (for Chevrolet, a few other GM marques, as well as several non-GM cars, as well as after-market and accessory sales) came in at least a dozen overall variations. I only have one wheel left (so not much to go out and measure variations). But when I was working on a car with them about twenty years ago, I fount that there were at least three different widths of the outer steel felley alone.
This is not counting the heavier variations used on light trucks, mid size cars, or even heavier trucks and large cars. I saw a late '20s Cadillac one time that had a heavy set of Jaxon steel disc wheels, and the original sales information that said they were a factory option.
In addition to the width of the steel felley? Is the placement. How far in or out or near center to the felley is the steel disc riveted? I have seen everything from as far outside to as far inside as they could be made to fit, and almost anywhere in between. Many years ago, a fellow speedster enthusiast and I went through all of my various wheels and all of his various wheels to find one near matched set for his very nice car! (He and I knew which one wheel didn't quite match the other three. I don't think anybody else would have spotted it except maybe a subsequent owner, I don't know.)
I then put together a good set of two exact matching front wheels, with near match rears only slightly heavier than the fronts. Looked good, worked great!

After all that. An important comment on the fellies. They ARE supposed to have an angled lip on the back side (inside edge) for the rim to nestle against. Without one, the rim WILL NOT seat properly or work safely!
Often, if the wheel is used or run a little bit without the tire or rim in place, that angled ridge will flatten down. If they haven't been run too fat that way, the ridge can often be repaired and work just fine. (I have done that to a couple wheels myself over the years.) If they have been run too far? The ridge could be worn too far gone, bent and distorted beyond simple repair, or cracked with pieces missing or ready to come off. If that is the case? They can still be repaired. It just becomes a little bigger project.

Rims for these wheels are a bit tough to get hold of. And they also came in a variety of widths to better fit the variety of felley widths. The one yo show above, looks like a skinny one. They are among the most rare of those style rims. But that is not all bad. IF (big IF again) your wheels properly fit the extra skinny rim? (And are in fact 21 inch size?) There is a solution. With just a little alteration, Easily done, a model T 21 inch split demountable rim can be made to fit and work well. You even have a choice. remove the Ford fixed lugs and fill in the holes in the rim. Then you would use the Jaxon style lugs. Or, you could keep the Ford fixed lugs and use them (even simpler).

I hope some of this rambling can help you. Or someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Wayne, thank you for this information. I have read some past posts and knew you had some experience with these wheels.

These four disk wheels I have are all in excellent, straight condition. The center hole measures 3". The back edge where the rim seats is angled and doesn't appear to have ever been damaged. All the rim clamps I got with the wheels have the raised "Jaxon" cast into them. I have all the clamps and bolts. The one rim I have that fits measures 3-3/8" wide across the widest part of the rim as I tried to show in one of the pictures above. There was a 4.50 x 21 tire mounted on it.

I tried a 21" T split rim on one and it won't go on because of the raised ridge on the inside diameter of the rim. Can that be safely removed? If so, I can do that, then remove the lugs and weld up the holes. That is my second choice though, as I would really rather find original rims if possible.

Any leads would be appreciated. I am currently machining adapters to fit my hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 04:44 am:

Dennis, For using the model T 21 inch rims on these wheels? The most important thing is the width of the Jaxon rim. Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have anything available to get measurements from to really help you. Basically, the rim when fully seated on the felley MUST overhang the outside of the felley by some amount. Enough for the Jaxon clamps to seat nicely between the felley and rim. Provided the rim is wide enough for the felley to fit and hold safely, and if you are going to remove the Ford lugs to use the Jaxon lugs? That brings us to a couple other considerations.
It has been quite a few years since I have looked at many 21 inch Ford rims. There may be some that have that raised ridge rolled in? I have seen quite a few rims that were made that way. What I don't remember is if any of them were Ford, or all of those were non-Ford (Star, Chevrolet, etc). Many of the Ford rims were extruded steel. That is good for several reasons. Removing the fixed lugs leaves a sizable hole. The extruded steel is easy to weld, I actually prefer brazing in the hole because it results in less distortion to the rim from welding temperature differentials. Wire feed welding may work better even, but I don't have one.
The other good thing about the extruded steel? Is that the ridge can be easily ground down to fit the felley of the disc wheel.
If one wanted to use the Ford lugs on the disc wheels (I think I like this idea), one could grind the inner ridge between the lugs as necessary to fit the felley. The felley would need to be notched to fit the lugs still on the rims. It would probably work best to keep most of the ridge as backing for the lugs. Allow for this in the felley notch.
Another consideration. Keeping the Ford lugs on the rims, and notching the felley would do a nice job of keeping the rim from trying to slide around the wheel (shearing the valve stem). If you go with the Jaxon lugs on modified rims, some consideration must be given to keeping the rear rims at least from slipping around and tearing out the valve stems. There are several easy ideas I can think of. The original Jaxon rims have a notch in the well made latch pin rim lock. That notch fits over one of the lug bolts and is quite effective at keeping the rim in place. The Motor Wheel wheels and rims on some Paige and other cars use an almost identical method to prevent rim sliding.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration