WTB - 20" TT Rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB - 20" TT Rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:35 am:

Looking for a rim on which to carry a spare for long road trips to remote locations.

Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:25 am:

No one ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:12 am:

Burger, check with Dallas Landers in a few days. He may be able to help you, or not. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:00 am:

I'm not really into T's or TT's but those parts keep multiplying at night in my storage bldg so I have to work at thinning them out. TT rims seem to come in three different styles,split rim with lugs,split rim without lugs and solid rim with lockring. Which one are you seeking? Some I have still have an old tire on them so condition is unsure. I'm old,tired,slow and busy but eventually will get them checked out.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:48 am:

This might sound stupid, but wouldn't all split rims be NOT demountable ?

My truck is a late 25/early 26, and it appears the rims work just like the front
wheels, a wheel with a demountable rim that can be carried with an aired up
tire on them.

I will give mine a harder look in the AM. Right now my eyes are on fire and
I need to hit the rack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:55 am:

The 20" Firestone rims are called "split ring" because of the removable bead ring that locks onto the face of the solid rim. The entire rim doesn't collapse.

The 23" wheels, both Hayes and Kelsey, were "split rim" like the newer 21" demountable wheels. The Hayes and Kelsey just mounted a little bit differently to the wheel.

Burger, when looking for a 20" rim, make positively sure of a few things:
1. The rim has the correct locking ring. I may have a good picture of the correct one somewhere. Others may fit on but may not provide a good lock to the rim.
2. The channel on the rim has to be in good condition meaning no rust that makes the wall thinner and no damage. It seems that when stubborn tires were removed from many of them, tire irons were used to help pry them off and the lock channel became the fulcrum which crushed them down. This will keep the ring from seating properly. You don't want one flying off!
3. As with other rims, excessive rust is a problem but I think that there is some wiggle room. I think that the occasional pin hole can be welded shut as long as the overall rim is good and solid.

I looked high and low for a spare and eventually found a really nice one the Birdhaven had on Ebay. It wasn't cheap but those things are really hard to find in good shape. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:04 am:

This set on Ebay has one that looks good but the other one is a little sketchy. Even the better one may need some TLC but it is really uncommon to see any for sale. At least the rings look right and they seat well in the channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1925-1926-1927-Model-T-Ford-TT-Truck-20-RIMS-Original-pa ir-w-Lock-Rings-/222492956012?hash=item33cd9d156c:g:HPUAAOSw4CFYrJa8&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Burger,
If you get a chance,pick up a copy of Clymer's Old Car Tire and Rim Handbook to see just how deep the river of old car wheels and rims can be. But the bottom line is,if the rim comes off the wheel,it's demountable,if it doesn't,it's non-demountable,whether it's split,solid,or has a lockring,if it has a lockring,it's detachable,if it comes off the wheel and has a lockring,it's detachable demountable,if the edges of the rim turn in against the tire,it's clincher,if the turn out a little they're straight side. Some rims such as certain Kelseys have a reversible inner bead ring and the lockring on the outside is also reversible so a clincher or straight side tire can be put on depending on which way they are facing,these rims are Kelsey universals. It can be confusing but with a little study it will clear up especially with the pictures in that manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I went to the Ranch on Saturday and got myself semi-educated on the subject.
According the aforementioned book, if it is a Ford TT 20" wheel, it is a Firestone.
There are no other options. So, the intel given above is spot on. I need a Firestone
20" like those in the eBay listing. Steve, do you have a decent one in your pile ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

I'm going to do a little digging and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Burger, You're going to have to help me help you. Your truck may have come out with Firestones but if it had a mishap in the early days that broke the rear wheels,they may have been replaced with some from Sears,Western Auto,etc and most likely not Firestones. So I want to match up with what you have now,just for grins,what year is your truck,do the present rims have lockrings,if not,and it has split rims,do they have the lugs affixed to them or removable wedges with bolts through them? That info will help me get a better start.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Okay I checked the ebay link finally and see what I need to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:52 am:

Sorry, slow to respond ... been putting the rebuilt engine in the truck.

Lock rings, no lugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

The good news-I have one of those rims,the bad news-no lockring,has an old tire on it and it is starting to rust through. I may get the tire sawed off anyway to see if any of the rim is good enough to section a piece into another one with just a bad spot to repair it but that is the best I can do. Sorry I couldn't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Burger, sent you a PM regarding truck rims, please respond, thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration