WTB - 2 Hyatt bearings for rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WTB - 2 Hyatt bearings for rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:55 am:

On two of mine, the cages are so loose that the rollers actually fall out if you twist them. I can try to stake them, but it might be a whole lot easier to get good replacements.

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Didn't Dave Huson advertise a bunch for sale a while back?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/704567.html?1489568771

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

If all of the rollers are .496-.500" on both ends and there is no rust or pitting, you will be far ahead to peen the stays back and use what you have. There are many versions of "good bearings" for sale and I have bought my share of them. I find that 50% of good bearings sold would never find their way into any car I own.

If you do end up purchasing sight-unseen, plan on buying more than you need to cull appropriately. Unit price paid should reflect that attrition.

Good luck on your hunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

I do not believe "peening" the cages to be good advice. Getting them perpendicular to the rollers would be a task in itself without a jig - IMHO !

I've rebuilt dozens of rear axle assemblies including Ruckstells and I won't use a loose cage or a peened cage but that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Steve

It can be done. Since the rollers are completely loose within the cage, the cage would have to be obviously out of square after tightening, to affect the rollers in any way when installed. I wouldn't advise using such a bearing either. To each his own, I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Chris

take a look at tightening bearings on this link: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129904.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:41 am:

In that link that Scott sent, Ken Kopsky has a great method to re-stake them. I wouldn't hesitate to at least try that method. Like Scott says, they're "floppy" anyway in a tight cage, so there should be plenty of "forgiveness" with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:18 am:

How about spot welding the stakes to the circular end pieces where they pass thru? Kens method would be a good way to hold the bearings snugly in alignment.
Surely a more secure fix than peening

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration