F.Sale 1 pair of early rebuilt spindles with straight arms brass oiler type

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: F.Sale 1 pair of early rebuilt spindles with straight arms brass oiler type
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

This pair of early spindles and straight arms have been taken apart, blasted, new bushings installed, threads chased, bushings reamed for the new hardin early style and ground spindle and tie rod bolts includes new washers, and nuts and brass oilers
225.00 plus 20.00 postage in the cont. USA
modelt2001@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Bob, your post brings a question to mind. The spindles you show are not real early, as they have the flat spot on the inner end which allows the bearing to be driven off. The straight spindle arms are earlier than the bent ones which go with the wishbone under the axle.
The question, the answer to which I don't know, is when were the flats on the spindle introduced? Before the bent arms? At the same time?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:18 am:

They could be 1918 or later or the could be 1st change on the bearings, these were original and the arms were on these so they could be used on early cars with the brass oiler because of the straight arms, might not be show but will work, they could have been changed at some point but I also see a lot of spindles with bent arms with no flats which would be for the late non demountable cars, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Allan from what I've read, the spindles with the flats may very well have begun with the straight arms,up to around '18 but only for a short time. I'm of the impression the bent arms showed up in '19.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Thanks Tim. The introduction of the bent spindle arms was driven by the adoption of the under axle wishbone, if I have that right. I can understand the flats on the spindles being introduced before that to enable the ball bearing cone on earlier spindles to be driven off. I was curious to know just when this revision was made.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

btt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration