Manifld nut remove

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Manifld nut remove
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

what is the secret to one that I can not budge! I think the manifold gasket, exhaust, is leaking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Heat it with a torch if you have one, if not start the car, leave the spark retarded and let it idle for a couple of minutes. This will get the manifold hot in a hurry. You need a wrench that dose not pinch the nut, no pipe wrench or water pump pliers. Wear gloves and remove the nut hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 04:35 am:

Before you heat it up, you can help the loosening process by tapping each flat on the nut with a ball pien hammer. Avoid applying too much torque to the nut or you run the chance of breaking the manifold.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:38 am:

You can heat the nut and stud up cherry red and then hit just the nut with an ice cube or two to create a rapid cooling rate and it may help t break free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:34 am:

It might be helpful to indicate which exhaust "pak nut" or manifold "retaining nut" you are attempting to remove - I believe you're getting recommendations for both !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration