Info wanted: Early 1907? Front end, not Model T for sale in California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Info wanted: Early 1907? Front end, not Model T for sale in California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

I got this with some Model T stuff. Anyone know what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Note the "[star symbol] 3.07" stamped on brazing on tube.h

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Note oiler patent date is 1897?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Oldsmobile?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Actually, let me change that to a 1907 Reo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

The markings on the axle says 1907 reo but the hub and hub caps are from something else. Hub may be 1909 reo but not so the cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Wow! Thanks Dale and Ed! I guess that I saved this from the scrap guy! Thanks so much. One person PM me with interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:26 am:

My dad's 1910 IHC Model F roadster uses that hubcap. Same shape/profile and the distinctive arrow and "OFF". They are flush with the hub.

They are "off-the-shelf" and came in more than one size and were used on a number of different makes.

(Sorry about the low resolution photos - I don't have any close-ups of the hubs so I cropped large photos.)

1 2

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on May 31, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

THLLG&C,

What does the face of the hub cap look like??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

The face of the cap is plan, but this photo is not clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

A member personal mailed me. I responded, but never heard back from him. (Maybe my message went to spam. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:39 am:

I looked at my original unrestored 1907 Reo 2 cylinder and it does not match your axle. While it is close the main differences are the hub caps and hubs. Reo did not have a grease fitting in the hub, and the caps are totally different. The axle it self is very similar but these axles were used in many different cars of the era.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

As Eric said the brass cap is likely aftermarket.

If the Reo hubs didn't have grease fittings, anyone have a idea of what we have here?

I took it apart and will post more photos momentarily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

BCG, Eric, Ed,Dale and Jerry,
Thanks for your input. I hope that this finds a home with someone who could use it.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:52 am:

"Aftermarket" is a misnomer.

Quite a few makes of cars came with those hubcaps from the factory so they would be considered OEM in today's terms.

It's no different than other components that automobile manufacturers purchased from outside suppliers.

Post that axle on the HCCA forum - you might be able to get an ID there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Eric J.
Don't worry about the HCCA forum. 10 days later and no answer!!! The MTFCA (down under) has got the answer.
The STAR is the trade mark of the TIMKIN bearing and axle company. The 3.07 is the Month and Year of manufacture. Scratch around a little more and you should find the axle number. There could be another number in the centre of the axle on top.
I hope this helps. I would also like to purchase the oiler from the top of the king pin.....Hint Hint..Photos to come
Regards ...Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Neil,
Thanks!

Sold! Thanks MTFCA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:48 am:

To Matthew and the New Owner.
Would you be prepared to sell the two bearings and the lubricator (On top of swivel pin)for my 1908 Reliable Dayton.
Regards Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Neil,
I sent buyer message via email. I will leave it up to home to respond.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration