How Can We Tell If A Frame Is Straight?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: How Can We Tell If A Frame Is Straight?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:47 am:

With a frame up on sawhorses, what measurements will tell if it is straight, or crooked?

I plan on seeing a couple, maybe more, forum members with frames for sale on my trip to Baltimore and back.

I simply have no way to straighten a frame, nor have I ever seen it done, so I very much want to buy a straight one.

Any help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

If the frame looks strait ,that's a good start . Put your frame on your sawhorses and measure from the front corner to the opposite back corner . note measurement . then do the same thing on the other corners . When the measurements are the same the frame is square . You can get bows out of the rails with a peace of I beam and some large C clamps and wood blocks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Thank you, Perry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Bill, might I suggest you use heat to shrink a frame that is bent in lieu of using another bend to straighten it. Also, it is best to use a pencil-tip torch to heat the rivets, and then re-buck them tight again with a 3X Rivet Gun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

all frame measurements and squareness checks can be made using dimensions found on FUN PROJECTS website under (if I remember correctly) "technical info"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Thank you, Scott.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration