Looking for a set of detailed plans for a Speedster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Looking for a set of detailed plans for a Speedster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:07 am:

I have had this idea of building a speedster, but do not have the detailed plans. If someo0ne has an extra set or a cheap set PM me.
Thank you
bill d MTFCA 14079

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:51 am:

Hi Bill. I wonder it there is such a thing. I used a running chassis and used lots of 13/32 plywood from Home Depot. The sky's the limit when it comes to spending $$$. I bought body parts from Rooteib and had them professionally painted and bought the seats from a gent on the classified. Rootlieb (ie or ei?) has kits

Chuck Smith made this beauty
speedsterkits.

I just completed this one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:25 am:

What body style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

AS STATED ABOVE SPEEDSTER! OPP'S CAPS LOCK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

"speedsters" come in many different forms and is a general term and does not tell us what KIND of speedster you want to build. The question Chadwick is asking is WHAT type of speedster are you looking to build? One man or two, closed or open cowl, boat tail or open back with trunk, bench or bucket seats and the list goes on. Go to Northwest Vintage Speedsters and take a look at some of the body styles. Except for the factory built bodies, most are home made as the builders fancies and don't follow a set of plans.

PS; If you saw that you typed in all caps then you did not understand Chadwicks question because you should have erased it and retyped, we don't know WHAT you want to build and that is what he is asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

One of the defining features of any speedster is the radiator, after all this is the first thing you see. Is it going to be brass, steel, high, low, V, super V, or something else modified?

From there the options just multiply.

Although to answer you simple question. Yes there are "plans" for a speedster, in fact you can buy everything already made from rootlieb. I assumed you already knew this and was asking for something different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Im working on 2 right now, one is on the back burner as the parts I got were too complete not to build a speedster out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/767754.html?1498698283

http://www.nwvs.org/

(Message edited by redmodelt on June 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Bill:
I have a set of plans that go back to the Modern Mechanics Magazine. This set of plans has a wood frame and covered with fabric and dope like you would do if you were building an airplane of the early days. The plans are M and M speedster body. These plans can be modified to fit the person size. I set the plans for $25.00 with postage paid in the united states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Hello Chadvick: I seemed to have screwed up and had the "CAP'S" on. I had been sending and email I was not looking like I should so I have to say OOOOPPPPSSS. Apology is in store, I normally catch it before I post but missed it, as they say fingers were faster than the mind!
Open body and Simple as possible. This is just the beginning of my quest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Here are a few more ideas:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:46 am:

What year? Are you looking for something brass or newer? The seats on the one with purple wheels (I'm assuming they are buckets) while being a little more difficult to get in are a much better design than what rootlieb sells. The higher sides will hold you into position much better. Some key decisions you may want to think on before just saying you want a speedster are as follows. . .

As you already stated "open" that is a big choice made.

What year? There is a big difference between a 1912 and a 1927.

What radiator will you use? As I mentioned before the radiator you choose will be the first thing people see and begins the shape of your car.

Do you want fenders? While cycle fenders may look good on a boattail they wouldn't look as good on a rootlieb. And while torpedo fenders may look just right on a rootlieb they would destroy the lines of a boattail.

How low do you want to go? Where do you plan on driving do you want to drop it as much as possible or retain stock height?

How will you lower the car? If you want a flat base then a Z is out of the question for the rear just as using some brackets for the front will increase your wheelbase.

How fast do you want to go? Speed costs money before you know it you will be upgrading the steering, brakes, suspension, etc. Speed also involves design when considering things like fenders, windshield, height.

Is this car for you? Unlike a modern car once the seats are in they aren't moving so you will want to size them for whoever drives the most.

A simple good looking speedster can be consturcted using a pair of bucket seats set on a lowered at least 6" chassis with a torpedo hood (brass T radiator) and fuel tank. Keep the seats as close to the base as comfortably possible. Mount a torpedo (much larger) fuel tank above the rear Z aligning roughly the top of the tank with the tops of the seats. Leave out a tool box or put one in under the seat. Makes for a simple open speedster somewhat similar to my rough sketch or this friends car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:55 am:

The "same" car a few years later with a different radiator/wheels/metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Red-i-Kut Speedster Patterns And Plans from 2013 past thread.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/406500.html?1387193883

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Bill, if you haven't decided just what you want you can go to the Northwest Vintage Speedsters web site NWVS.org and there are hundreds of pictures. There isn't a lot in the way of detailed plans as most speedsters are just someone's imagination come to life. It doesn't always work out on the esthetics but everyone has fun.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Chadwick, the seats on the very top (red) Speedster move fore and aft like the seats in modern cars. That Speedster has a bit of everything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:03 am:

I've seen pictures posted of that speedster before. It's a little too modern for me but that just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:31 am:

For what it's worth, Modern !3 is what it's been called. It has VEGA steering, Disc brakes on all 4 etc.....You have a point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:33 am:

"Modern 13"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration