Not T but I know there's a wealth of knowledge here. 28" Continental Caoutohouc rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Not T but I know there's a wealth of knowledge here. 28" Continental Caoutohouc rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

I lightened a fellow swap meet vendor of 5 of these rims. He didn't know anything about them and I'm not finding out much about them either. Patented by Willy Tischbein in Hanover in 1910 pat. no. 956611 they do show age with some light pitting but nothing that would affect tire mounting. The way I was taught to measure a rim the measure 28". I've been told there was another method. Height of the tire, width, divide by 2 blah blah. Confused but can't see these just wasting away either. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

oh, And I posted here because they are for sale. Just don't know how to market them with the info I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 03:33 am:

Scott, we need PICTURES!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

OK Allan, Pictures!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Scott, they are in great order. I have never seen anything like them before. They would need some type of wedge lug to hold them on the felloe, but I can't tell how they would be prevented from slipping when accelerating/braking. Can't help much.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 11:46 am:

The third picture shows a plate around the valve stem hole which fits between two logs on the fellow to keep the rim from turning or slipping on the wheel. I've seen that arrangement before but don't remember the maker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

a

Does anyone make 28" rim clincher tires?
They might have to be cut and modified with a latch, fill the beads and use straight side tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Ok, I measured them again and going with your instructions they are A= 3 7/8" B=27". Just re looked at the Lucas Tire website and all their tall skinnys are measured by overall dia. x tread width. So if we go by my first measurement and you take a tire with a dia. of 34" and subtract the height of the tire times 2 (3" sidewalls) you would have a 28" rim fit. I believe this is what was explained to me a couple weeks ago. I kinda makes sense in my head but my explanation may leave something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Scott, applied to a T clincher tyre/rim combination, the formula yields 30" minus two times width of 3.5" equals a rim size of 23".In your example you start with a 34 x 3" tyre. That's a mighty tall, skinny tyre.

At 3 7/8" wide, your rims would have had more like a 4.5 to 5" wide tyre. Working up from your 28" rim, the tyres would be 37 or 38". Such large diameter tyres were used on cars like the American Underslung to restore some ground clearance.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Rim width does not translate directly to tire size. Model T 30x3 1/2 clincher rims measure about 2 7/8" wide overall and they are intended for a 3 1/2 tire. Today's tires are 30x3 1/2 Oversize which is the WW1 era remarking of 31x4. To make it more complicated, when the high pressure tire markings were initiated it was assumed the tires were round in cross-section ( there was no "tread width" only tire height and width).
I suggest that your rims are for 36x4 1/2. That would be outside diameter of 36 less 2 times tire size of 4 1/2 equals 27" rim size.
My 25" rim size Dorian brand clincher rims measure 3 7/8" wide overall and and came originally with 34x4 1/2 tires.
Hope this helps more than confuses.
Are your rims marked where they were manufactured?
Many Continental rims came to America from France but yours may be a product of Germany.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Allan,
Underlungs did indeed use large diameter wheels/tires to restore ground clearance but they are up around 32" rim size. 27-28-29" wheels were favored to bridge" over potholes, cracks, rocks and other irregularities. They do make the ride noticeably smoother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Just got home from Lucas Tires. They confirm what you wrote above 27" rim for the 36" x 4 1/2" tire. Only markings I've found lead me to the German Patent no. with a date of 1910. Continental Caoutohouc pat. 956611

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Now to find them a home.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Here is a set on a 1913 Chalmers Model 36 Torpedo.
Note 8 large lugs, your rims probably have wear marks to match. Your third picture clearly shows one on each side or the stem hole.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Very cool picture, thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration