Please tell me what you know about my frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Please tell me what you know about my frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Faulkner on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Faulkner on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 09:23 am:

I'm not that "up" on all the frames, but the running board bracket does tell me it's earlier than '21 when Ford went to the stamped style. The non-tapered rear spring leafs make it at least an '18. I believe that drive shaft bearing housing though came along in '21, my '20 still has the older style with the "channels" for the studs to pass through. The rear axle looks to be '15+, can't tell if there's reinforcing ribs on the backing plates or not. '15s did not have those. Looks to be a '14 muffler too. Little bita everything! Best I can do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 09:34 am:

First off. From what you've posted, you know more than I do about frames, axles and springs, but the rear crossmember in the first pic sure looks like 26/27 to me. I've got one of those so I am familiar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Gary I thought so too, might be a '26, the '27 cross member had a flange on both sides where the spring bolts went through. That much I do know. They "stretched" the rear cross member out in '13, got one on mine. I just noticed the front springs are also non tapered, I THINK those started showing up in '16? Also the front fender iron is definitely at least a '14, but looks like where the headlight fork goes into it is from '17 to '25. I learned a lot about those in search of the correct style for my '13!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I think the rear cross member is original to that frame with a similar level of "patina". Ditto on the rear spring and running board brackets so I'm thinking '18 to '20. I don't see the flange of a 26/27 cross member but early 26 didn't have the flange - my Dec '25 build doesn't have the flange but is the full width of the rest of the 26/27 cross members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:06 am:

I would look for another frame. That one is too far gone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Intribus on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Have stacks of frames all Western iron, from Montana, Idaho, California, located in Northwest Indiana. NO TEXT, two 1 nine 8 seven 9 ten 24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Just took look at my spare 26/27 frame. Using the triangular bracket at the joint between the crossmember and side rail for scale I withdraw my previous comment. That's not a 26 crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Faulkner on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Thank you for your comments and your knowledge. I realize the drivetrain and bolt on parts to the frame are not going to match the age of the frame. I'm really curious about the date of the frame only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Chris...2 other things to look for to help narrow it a bit..look for the "ford" script on the front cross member. That started in '19. Another thing to look for would be whether the brake handle quadrant has two rivets or four holding it on the frame. If its two rivets its at least a '25 frame. I think that's the year they started using only two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Chris, if the frame is drilled for the battery carrier, it fits into 1919-1921.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration