Model T Sales

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Model T Sales
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I see a lot of cars for sale but is anyone actually selling? Is the market for Model T's down right now or is the car losing it's following.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Its just me but I think the slow down on T sales is due to the high cost of parts to fix it. My 19 after 20 years Iv put close to $20,000 into to a car make that I'm not worried about breaking down with. If I wanted to sell my car I would lose at least $10,000. So a person buying a car needs to know the investment ahead of time to include the funds they will need to put into the car after purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Oh yes, some are selling. Has to do with price and value...priced too high, won't sell.
Not sure that the market is "down" right now...not really sure that in the last 20 or so years it was ever "up".
Some young folks like the slower autos, but I suspect that the majority of folks today - both young and old, want speed....instant acceleration and "get there fast".
(Funny thing is, that I meet a lot of them at the next stop light).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

I hear a lot of "I can't believe that hasn't sold yet" about my '27 roadster... it's reasonably priced, looks nice, but very little interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

And I am still amazed of new cars being found that have sat for 20+ years. There have been some great deals for sure, both driving and or found cars....or even projects and as Dean says, it seems that sometimes their is little interest. Cars are selling, I have seen an increase of newer people coming on here saying they just acquired a vehicle. I wonder how many sales vs ads.

Are we all getting to the point where space, time, and maybe money have all reached their limits? Or is it possible lack of interest from newer / younger people getting involved?

I know if you told me in my late 20's if own one of these cars I would have said your full of it. Maybe old pre WWII cars in stock form are an acquired taste.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on August 15, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

I'm going to pick one up this weekend does that count?
I think a lot of T's that do not sell are because of this equation Cost + Distance. Even though it may be at a fair price if it is on the other side of the nation Shipping cost can prove to be an obstacle and to take vacation time to go and fetch it yourself might put you in Dutch with the family!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Parker on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I'm new to the Model T world, as I just recently decided to try and sell the '26 T truck that I received after the deaths of a couple family members. It's been in the family for 50 years or so.

Being 28 years old, I have very little knowledge, experience or interest in keeping this vehicle. I would consider it somewhat of a "project" car as it will need some work to get running after sitting in a museum, not being started in a year or more. However, the body of the truck is in very good shape. I'd like to see someone get it running and enjoy it rather than seeing it sit in a museum.

And to the comment about younger people wanting speed over older, slower cars - I'd likely be putting the money from the sale of my TT towards my current supercharger build for a Camaro. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Joseph; hang around here too long and that TT might grow on you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Randy, please allow me to share a perspective of mine. I am 57 y.o. but I have been in the hobby for all of my life as my father began collecting pre-30's cars during the 1950s, and I am a 2nd generation car restorer. All thru the decades I have attended old car meetings, and invariably the topic comes up that the next generation won't want these "old cars" and the prices are going to fall. Contrary to what these folks said, history has proven them wrong.

To substantiate this, think of it this way. In the 1950s, there was a strong following of Model-Ts in every HCCA, AACA, and local car club. Probably half the cars on tour were Model-Ts. Now consider the next decade (1960s) and the interest was just as strong as it was some 10 years prior, --AND the Model-Ts actually brought more $$ as a whole than what they did some 10 years earlier. Now apply this same mindset to the 1970s, and again Model-Ts seem to bring more money and the popularity was stronger than in the 60's. Now compare the prices and popularity to each subsequent decade, and I believe you will find these cars seemingly continue to bring more money now than what they used to, ...and there are more restored ones now than what there used to be, more replacement parts are available, and it sure seems like they're just as popular now as they ever were. Therefore I tend to believe that you will see that most Model-Ts will appreciate in the next decade too.

To comment on Will's statement above, as a restoration shop owner, my experiences with higher parts costs is largely due to higher quality of parts being produced now over what was being produced a decade or so ago. In my view, this is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

I believe the answer to fall in two categories. 1) up front cost. 2) bang for the buck.
As for cost, let's use $8000. That's a fair chunk of change and you can get a nice T for that. That price automatically puts it in the "bang for the buck" category. There's a lot out there for $8000 that will give someone that instant speed, thrill, and danger element that a T won't give them.
I couldn't afford the upfront cost of $8000 and therefore building my T from piles of parts. Me being me, I'm glad as now I'll know my T inside and out. But I'm sure that there are plenty of others that don't have the resources to pull it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Didn't think I would get so many responses in such a short time. I think, as some of you have mentioned, it is generational. The only "new" car my grandfather ever bought was a 1926 Model T. I grew up with stories of that time and those cars. My son on the other hand is deeply into automobiles but has rarely even looked at my Model T Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Heres an example, I just bought a 26 Roadster. Body wise its near perfit. Inside is just ok with room for improvement. The drive line is tired and needs major work. Because I just happened to be at the right place at the right time I got the car relatively cheap. Because of what I was able to buy the car for I feel that it is worth investing the $8000.00 into the engine to make it a sound car for the future. (New Scat forged crank and top of the line internal parts) Now, If I had paid say, $8000 for the car up front and two years down the road the engine now needs babbit work now my investment could be $16,000 and a lot of down time. A lot of guys getting into the hobbie can get stung real easy from the Dupont over haul the last guy gave the car. Brent, If I could ask as Im going to be soon looking for someone to do my 26 engine. What is the price of a real good complete engine/transmission build going for now days? (ie> all new top of the line internal parts>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Randy, The only other car Im really looking for is a white with red interior, push button transmission 1962 Dodge Lancer 4 door. The reason is that was the only new car my parents ever bought and I have a photo of me when I was two years old hanging out the drivers window next to my dad. Once I have that car my bucket list is complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

In the last year I have a friend who having never owned an antique car before bought a '29 roadster pickup. Another friend also having never owned an antique bought a 1922 touring. Both of these men love their cars and while they know nothing mechanically they drive them as much as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Here's something you guys can try to wrap your brains around (or make it explode). I was at a family reunion talking to a 21 y.o. cousin about the driverless auto they are trying to produce. I was dumbfounded when he told me not only he, but a lot of kids his age have no interest in driving with the possibility of getting involved in an accident because it is too hard to use their electronic devices while driving. When I chimed in about the freedoms you have by driving a vehicle yourself, his reply was "I have way more fun on my computer and don't care about my freedoms". (After his remark the debate turned heated. Guess that's why I'm the Black Sheep.) My point is, we are a dying breed in which younger generations are not that interested in these type vehicles or soon to be any vehicle other than "driverless". Just my observation/opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Keith;Everyone I have talked to about driver-less cars (who think it is a good idea) think you could put a 6 year old in the car and it will take them wherever they want to go safely! Not so, I have been told that all of the "Driver-less" cars will have a manual override for areas where the Car has no reference points such as an unmapped road.The DMV will also have a say in who can control one of these cars and the ultimate responsibility will be theirs! This is going to be fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

I thought a driverless car was a barn find or in a museum?
The younger generation as a whole have no mechanical skills or want them. My son is one of them."I will pay someone to do that" is what I got for an answer about repairs needed. He has a mowing business and pays someone to sharpen blades and sevice his mowers. They want instant gratification. They dont want to check the radiator,oil,set the choke and timing. Turn the key and go is what they want. NO HEAT? NO A/C? 30 MPH? Thats crazy talk. I said "as a whole" not all. There will always be interest in the pre 30's cars. Look at us! We are the oddballs,crazy,strange ones of our generation. I'm 49 and my buddys think the T is cool but its not for them. Thats ok because there are more for us to enjoy. 10 or 20 years ago I could not afford a T. The raising a family, 41 chevy and harley took all my extra cash. I know I wont make money if I sold them so I will have to keep them. Besides they make me smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Somebody owned my Model T before I did and I'm pretty sure somebody will own it after me! :-)

I also expect to get the $500 I paid for it back when I sell it (it was just a chassis) but probably not all of the $15,000+ I spent on on turning it into a speedster built just the way I wanted it. Oh well, hobbies are supposed to be expensive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Take a moment and consider, My great grandfather swear by his horse, Then along came steam and saved the backs of 1000's of horses, Then came gas run tractors and cars that went 30 mph! Then came faster cars and tractors to do even more farm work, Now tractors are GPS controled making greater advantage of the land. Then along came air conditioning in cars, we could stop sweating on are way to work, Then came cars that had cruise control and wipers that worked momentary. Now cars have maps that tell us where to go, Self driving cars? Yes I do see them coming. I may not see self driving cars in my life time but I do see it coming. You cant stop technology. I wish that there would be a way for me to see human kind in 100 years from now to see how far we have come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

The common Model Ts will always fetch common or reasonable prices and will be harder to sell. The rarer Model Ts will demand more money and be more desirable. The rarer and better the car is, the more desirable and valuable it will be. This is nothing new, it has always been the case. Back in the 1950s when these cars were first being collected, there was an abundance of the common, later cars but the earlier models always fetched a premium. One factor that keeps the price of Model Ts and As down is the issue of supply-there has always a great supply of the common cars for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

You want to see what is coming? Look up Atlas the robot. Then if you want a laugh, look up Atlas the cussing robot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I already know I won't get the money back if I were to sell. I'm still not on the road and several thousand "all in". But... I know what has been done to the car to make it as safe and reliable as possible. It's someday going to my seven year old son who is learning about car, just as I am at 45! That's where my payback comes into play!
By the way, I have one of the more common cars and happily so. I hope to drive it a bunch (someday anyway). I love looking at the more rare cars on here. They are very desirable. I'm content knowing if I mess something up on my car, I'm not devaluing it! It's already there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

I put 2 Model ts on here 2 weeks ago and sold both of them in 2 days, I must have been too cheap. I have 1 advertised for 2 days and have not sold it yet, 1926 coupe, whats wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Glad to see someone besides me has spent a lot to have safe reliable cars. I am in far shape on my model Ts as far as dollars invested but my Model A coupe was the car you spend to much to get!! Then spend more than its value on rebuilding it.. I have had many trouble free miles though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I have sold every brass T I have advertised for asking price....usually very quickly. Eight in the last 30 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Bob Peterson, you are fair and honest...that is why your cars sell quickly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

With all that's been said no matter what T you own the best line above is "IT JUST MAKES ME SMILE"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

I sold 5 Ts in the last 2 years
All under the $6k mark.
Had alot of interest from the wrong coast.
Shipping adds another grand and possibly more.
Now they can find cars closer to home for less
Ts been holding there own in value but the market.
But market of willing buyers willing pay the money is drying up unless you you have early brassy or something not so common
Interesting twist TT trucks have real come up in value

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Location is commonly a problem. Too many cars are out in California. I already have 2, so that is enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Well,

I just exchanged emails with someone who wants a vehicle hauled from Helena, Montana to Fresno, California.

Basically a haul down I-15 thru Idaho - Utah - Nevada into Barstow, California.

I posted availability to haul from Douglas, Wyoming to Seattle, Washington on my next run west.

This person responded to that notice .....

This person thinks it makes sense to pick up their vehicle in Helena, Montana & haul it to Seattle, Washington - then take it to Fresno, California .....

I have told them twice that does not make sense - to no avail.

I deal with this more often than you would think .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Hello, I'm new to this board, I find this topic very interesting since I'm new and looking for my first Model T. There are two Model T's up for auction in my area. A 1923 and 1925 Touring, both not running, have been painted, the upholstery looks pretty good. I get to look at them in a week, so not much information at this time. I've been doing some research and find if very difficult to come up with a value for these, can anyone give their perspective, I can supply the auction site as there are some pictures there. I'm retired, I did auto body repair and painting 30 years ago, along with mechanical. I'm looking for a project to keep me occupied in retirement for years to come, along with enjoying driving the T.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Joe,

Welcome !

I see you are in Nampa, Idaho.

Perhaps there is a member close by who can take you for a drive & show you the ropes.

There are good Model T's in your area that come up for sale.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Mr Jim this is your post from today. At the bottom it says you want to go to Napa Ca after Seattle.

By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:25 pm:
August 25th

Dropping off in Richmond, Indiana.

Room for a vehicle to Salisbury, North Carolina.

Dropping off in Salisbury, North Carolina.

Empty to Clarksville, Tennessee.

Picking up a vehicle in Clarksville, Tennessee.

Room for a vehicle to Odell, Illinois.

Picking up another vehicle in Odell, Illinois.

FULL to Douglas, Wyoming.

Dropping off in Douglas, Wyoming.

Room for another vehicle to Seattle, Washington.

Empty in Seattle, Washington.

I would like to run down the coast to Napa, California next where I have a vehicle waiting to be picked up headed east ....

Thanks !
Freighter Jim

It says, Dropping off in Douglas, Wyoming, Room for another vehicle to Seattle Washington. Helena Mt is some what between Douglas Wy and Seattle Wa and empty in Seattle means you would be empty to Napa Ca, about 150 +/- miles north of Fresno, I was just trying to help you not be empty to California.
So you are not going to Napa Ca now, that is fine, just say so. But your post is bull shit !!

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:24 am:

Freighter Jim,

Thanks for the welcome, I plan on joining the local chapter in Boise soon. I have been in contact with them and looking forward to meeting and learning from them.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:58 am:

Kevin,

You emailed me about transport from Helena, MT to Fresno, CA.

I replied twice:

" Kevin,

I tried returning your call.

I can't help you out - you need to find someone headed south on I-15 to California.

I am going to Seattle, WA from Wyoming.

Jim "

When you did not accept this answer:

" Kevin,

It makes no sense to pick up a vehicle & haul it to Seattle, Wa when it needs to be hauled to Fresno, CA.

I am not going to do that.

Jim "

When I post:

" Dropping off in Douglas, Wyoming.

Room for another vehicle to Seattle, Washington.

Empty in Seattle, Washington.

I would like to run down the coast to Napa, California next where I have a vehicle waiting to be picked up headed east ....

Thanks ! "

That does not mean I am posting to haul from Helena, MT to Fresno, CA .....

If you want to interpret what I post differently - fine - when I respond to your request I am not hauling along the route you need - accept it & move on.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration