1911 Model T Torpedo Roadster For Sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 1911 Model T Torpedo Roadster For Sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Fresh restoration of an original Torpedo car. See photos and description at: https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/6258745700.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Nice looking T. Late 1911 engine might fall into the 1912 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 11:20 am:

This is a car that I had a hand in painting it's all DuPont Centari with a harder. It's then wet sanded with 2000 grit and rubbed. Nice car and George and Jeff are stand up guys. Good luck with the sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 11:50 am:

It is a splendid car. If I have the money I will buy it right now! I love the blue and 1911 is my favorite year. As I know for the purist they will said the right color is red but personally, I love that blue. Very well done Gentlemen. I saw the 5 balls carburetor who is accurate for 1911, is it a carb complicated to adjust? I will buy a lottery ticket just in case I could offer this wonderful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I think valve covers appeared in April or May. 1912 Model Torpedos have a different body than 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Bruce W. McCalley's book, "MODEL T FORD, The car that changed the world", page 79 states, "MODEL YEAR DATES: November ,1910 through December, 1911 approx." This is in the chapter dealing with the 1911 Model T Fords. The book is frequently referred to as "The Model T Bible" so I'll go with that. This looks like a pretty nice Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

That is one sweet looking car! I'd love an '11 Torpedo, but from what I've heard, and seen in pics, I'm not sure my short legs could reach the pedals. Mario, blue IS the correct color for an '11. See excerpt from the encyclopedia below.

COLORS: All cars were painted a very dark, all-but-black, blue. Black is reported as an available color but Ford records do not indicate black as a standard color. A few Red Open Runabouts and green Town Cars were built in April 1911. It is possible that there were green early 1911 models; the date of the body change is unknown but both “blue” and “green” cars were built in later 1910 (after the 1910 fiscal year ended).
Fenders and aprons were painted body color, although either blue or black, might have been used, based on surviving samples. Records indicate only blue, however.
Striping of fenders and running gear began to be phased out about July on many cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Regarding color, records seem to only record blue Torpedos, but there are some gaps, leaving the possibility open for non-blue ones. This car is actually an early '11. Unfortunately the original open valve engine was sold out of it sometime before my dad got it (the previous owner wanted to build up a better engine with a Model A crank). Since the original engine could not be recovered, a later '11 closed valve was obtained and the car built as a later '11. The original color when the body was stripped actually turned out to be green, but dad went with the blue anyway since the consensus is the only blue would be correct for a later '11.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Mario, I helped dad adjust this 5 ball and it isn't difficult as long as the carb is in good order. I will say that compared to an NH or G, it has a VERY narrow band where it will run well. This is the only one I've played with, so I only have the one data point. Maybe other 5-balls aren't so touchy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Thank you Jeff for your comments. Again the car is awesome. The good thing's with closed valves,it keep the engine clean :-)
Good luck with your sales and hope the car will find a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Serial # ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

70283.   It's a September number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Jeff, do you know the original engine number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

No, the original engine was sold to "some guy in Texas" before dad got the car. He didn't paperwork that showed what that number was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:39 am:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/6301520705.html

Still for sale. There have been a couple of inquiries, but no deal has been closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

bump

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration