Am I Building A Problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Am I Building A Problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I primed the exhaust manifold last night with the Rustoleum 2000 F paint and let it dry overnight.

On the way in today, I began to think, "How many coats of primer/paint/clear are too many?

Too many coats of primer/paint/clear would prevent heat dissipation, wouldn't it?

Since I do not want the manifold to run too hot and warp, please let me know your experiences of painting this manifold for a running car.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

FWIW I run mine bare naked. I agree you want as much heat dissipated as possible so as to avoid the ever prominent warping of these things. Why risk helping it along. No one sees 'em anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 12:38 am:

I bead blasted the ones I had on my T and A I then used a cotton glove and Aluminum anti-size you need to rub it in really good lay it in the sun, wipe off the excess with a rag install it and drive the car 4-5 miles it will look like it has been ceramic coated. Both of mine looked great and never turned, color plus after the 5 mile drive it will not wipe off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 06:16 am:

I would think that you do not want to dissipate heat at the manifold, you want to simply convey the heat to the tail pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Just put it on and run it. The paint is going to come off eventually!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Good idea Steve. I'm going to try that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I have been having mine powder coated with great results. No discoloration what so ever.Just my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr.Grundy on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

eastwood has a good manifold paint which I used on my 413 after many miles still looks great..one coat and done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:00 am:

has anyone tried stove black? Heck I don't even know if you can still buy it. It is used to keep your old cast iron stoves looking good. It came in a small can, you would shake it up & brush it on bare metal. after it dried you would polish it up with a soft rag. came out nice & shiney. Used to use it on air cooled cylinders. The guy that turned me onto it said they used to use it on airplane cylinders & heads. it would last for years & looked good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Having started by priming, I decided to finish with clear over flat black.

I'm currently looking for an industrial oven to cure the paint.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration