OT - Longshot Search for a 1/2 inch Gas Can Spout Cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: OT - Longshot Search for a 1/2 inch Gas Can Spout Cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:54 am:

I bought these two vintage cans at a garage sale yesterday. The small one is missing the metal screw-on cap for its spout, the diameter of the spout opening is 1/2 inch.

Does anyone have a spare cap hiding in their random parts bins?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Mark, good luck. I have two I have been searching for caps for. One is like your small one. Went to a swap meet yesterday where 90% of cans were missing the small cap. I think it was law back then that they had to discard small cap when they were new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Seen a lot with cork in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

If I remember, I think there are some old cigar tubes/containers with a screw on cap that's just about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Maybe you can rethread the cap or the spout for a 1/2 brass cap. You could throw it on a lathe and clean up the outside shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-inch-Brass-Cap-Lead-Free-Female-Threaded-IPS-/162463 036311?hash=item25d38d3397:g:2i8AAOSwacFZb6Ez

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I just bought a cheap, badly dented gas can on Ebay with a cap, so hopefully I can rob the cap off of it for my can. I'll post a pic of the dented can here (minus its cap) when it arrives just in case somebody decides they want it for the price of shipping. If not, it will go in the trash. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Whittled down corn cob, period correct. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

In the good old days, we stuck a raw potato on the spout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Years ago, my Dad had one like it but instead of just a plain cap; it had a flexible metal hose made onto the cap. When the hose broke loose from the cap, he found a oak tree branch the same size as the broken metal hose and stopped up the hole with the wooden plug. I'll look and see if I have anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 01:27 am:

Mark these may work, a bit pricey for a cap but could go the trick.
eBay item numbers,152620386615 or 192209517769

(Message edited by Jtt3 on September 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Thanks for the tips everyone, as I mentioned I purchased a cheap, bent-up can on Ebay that has a good cap, I plan to rob the cap off of it for mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Thinking outside the box, would a cap for rubber cement or liquid electrical tape be about the right size? I have bottles of each and while they don't look right they are a metal cap that could be blasted and painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Well, I struck out on my cheap Ebay bent can purchase - the cap was just a little too big for the spout on my good can.

So I decided to knock out the dents, put some rocks in the can, and set it out front as yard art.

The search continues. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration