For Sale: Rare Tie Rod Yoke & Ball Used Dec 1916 to Oct 1917

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For Sale: Rare Tie Rod Yoke & Ball Used Dec 1916 to Oct 1917
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

This is an exceptionally nice original tie rod yoke including it's drag link ball. This style was only used from Dec 1916 to Oct 1917. Excellent threads on both the ball and tie rod bolt hole. Parts look to have had little if any use. $45 plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

So that explains it. Basically a one year only item. A long time ago, I had and used one of those on a car I had. I did have the common later one also, but I liked that one (I also had a nice extra ball for it). I asked several people about it at the time, and nobody knew the significance. Over the years, I have noticed that I have seen very few of these, and I have looked at many tie rods at many swap meets. Now I know why.
Good luck! (And sorry, but I don't need one at this time.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:16 am:

What differentiates this tie rod adjuster from the later ones is it the raised lip at the threaded end, or something else? I have what appears to be a similar piece, accept that it has the part number and a Ford script cast into it.

Additionally, with the usage dates you mentioned, is it the case that the change from the tie rod with the integral ball and left side adjustment to the pictured setup occurred in model year 1917 and not 1918? Im just interested in learning something new (to me) and where documentation regarding the change can be found.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Hello Rich,
What differentiates it is the ball Shaft.
It is not tapered and the hole in the yoke is not a tapered hole. The tapered ball will not fit this unique yoke. Pretty well documented. Infact one of the suppliers discribes it as well in their parts catalog.Might be Lang's or Snyder's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Rich C, If you notice, the base of the ball in Larry G's pictures has a double flat to put a wrench onto for tightening or loosening the ball shaft. This is because the shaft on these short-timers had a straight shaft whereas the common later ones had a tapered shaft. The taper sets itself into the taper in the yoke and does a fair job of holding the shaft when wrenching. Note I said a "fair" job of holding it. I have run into many with a bit of rusting in the threads that spun like mad and were very difficult to remove or service. To my engineering mind, even fifty years ago, that was why I liked that one and used it in my car. Had I known how "rare" they were, I would have used one of the others and greedily kept the rare one.
I would imagine that Ford changed them because the later style were slightly cheaper to make, and while nearly new, easy enough to service. The difficulty only shows up after a few years of exposure or abuse.
Some of the tapered balls have a square forged into the top (?) end of the ball to put a square wrench into to solve the service problem. Now if someone will just tell me when those were used?
Minutia to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration