FS 30x3-1/2 rim, removable lug style

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FS 30x3-1/2 rim, removable lug style
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Appears to be a Ford rim (2845C) style 30x3-1/2 rim for use with removable lugs. I do not have the lugs. $75 plus shipping or I would consider trading for another 30x3-1/2 rim with attached lugs (Hayes or Ford).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

James, the most important feature when buying a clincher rim is the condition of the bead edge. You need to show this for any prospective buyer.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

James,

Minor correction, I'm 100% sure the rim is NOT the Ford 2845C. You are correct that it matches the profile shown in the Ford Service Bulletins you posted above. But unfortunately those cross sections only show one profile that was used around Jan 1924 when that illustration was included in the Jan 1924 Service Bulletin (page 280 of "Model T Ford Service Bulletin Essentials). And they only show the cross section at one point on the rim. The Kelsey rims had the lug that is shown in your photo. It was designed to fit over the lug bolt and keep the rim from turning on the felloe. And while the Kelsey rim had the profile shown in the illustration, they also had some that were made with that rolled profile. See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/304731.html?1344481369 where Allan posted the photo below of a Canadian produced Kelsey 88 rim. (Thank you Allan)

Note the Ford 2845C as well as the Ford 2845D (both produced by Firestone, Cleveland and probably others) had a lug around the valve stem that kept those rims from rotating on the felloe as shown below in the photo from Steve Shelton (thank you Steve).

That should help you get the rim to someone with a Kelsey felloe which would be correct for that rim.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Thanks for the info Hap and Allen. I'm attaching a few more photos of the rim edge. They're not perfect, but by no means sharp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Kelsey 88 early style had 4 slits where the lugs fit.
James, Yours is early 1919, 1920 maybe.
The date of starting on the catalog page (1916) is surely a misprint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Layden, the Kelsey 88 you show is different to James's. Your posting shows the rim with the flat base and the continuous metal ridge around the rim. James's has the rolled in ridge. Both use the same U shaped loose lug to bolt them on. On James's rim, the lug locates on a slot punched in the rolled ridge. This punched slot lets water in, and consequently these rims are often rusty on the inside.
On your style of rim the U shaped lug rests on the continuous ridge. These rims are often in better order than the slotted types.
I always believed that James's style was a Hayes rim, as it has the rolled in ridge like Hayes 4 lugged rims. That was until I found a Kelsey 88 rim with a rolled in ridge. It seems they made both types. The scarcity of the rolled ridge type over the solid ridge type may be an indication that they realised that the slotted type were inferior and were soon deleted.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I put a dab of silicone on the inside of the slots that were punched through. Keeps the water out. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Btt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration