30x3-1/2 wheel and rim..want to buy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 30x3-1/2 wheel and rim..want to buy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Trying to complete a '22 centerdoor.
Trying to match its current 3 wheels.
Need: Front wheel with 4 slits on steel felloe. Slits located adjacent to rim bolt holes.
Need: Ford rim with 4 integral mounting lugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

I also have a Centerdoor - a 1919 and attempting to get a good matching set of wheels and matching rims can be quite a challenge due to the fact Ford, Kelsey & Hayes all threw their rims in the pot !

I have wheels with both the felloe slot/dimple you are referring to, I believe there are two distinct types - one has a definite cut-out slot and the other is more "dimpled" down - not sure I have any "runners" - there were multiple rims with attached lugs - I have several - I'm attempting to sort that all out now, myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Jay, I may have this wrong, but if you need a wheel with the slits in the felloe, they are to take a U shaped detached lug, so you need a rim without lugs. There is such a rim advertised here on the classifieds.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 09:39 am:

I'm referring to the "slot/dimple" on the outside edge of the wheel itself - not the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Re-read you post Allan - I have an original '19 Centerdoor (I'm 3rd owner) and I just installed new tires - it has the 23" wheels with a definite machined notch in the wheel above the rim bolt holes with rims having attached "Hayes" lugs - are you saying that combination is incorrect ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Hi Jay,

The above information is correct: the rims with attached lugs are NOT used on the felloes with the slits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Bill - where did you acquire such information ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Steve, your wheels are Kelsey and use a no. 88 rim with seperate lugs. The Hayes rims may go on OK, but they aren't correct. As I recall, the Kelsey wheels don't have a relief where the Hayes lugs fit. That only let's the rim have contact with the wheel in four places instead of all the way around. They are well documented. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Michaud on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Jay I have a wheel and rim , Pm me Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Let's be sure we're talking about the same "relief/slot" here folks - my wheels are flat sided in the front and "slotted" on the outside of the felloe - not on the inside where the un-attached lug would locate the rim with the rim bolt - I'll take some photos - I know of the wheel that has the "relief" on the front, inside towards the spokes style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

My apologies to Jay for the thread drift - perhaps we can relocate this to a Forum thread ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Ah. That makes sense Steve. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

I have only 3 wheels (1 front and 2 rears). Each wheel has the slits in the steel felloe. Each wheel has rims with lugs. Perhaps not correct but my goal is to have 4 matching wheels to
be 'aesthetically' correct. (Buying 1 wheel and 1 rim is the least expensive route for me)

Need: Front wheel with 4 slits on steel felloe. Slits located adjacent to rim bolt holes.
Need: Ford rim with 4 integral mounting lugs.

Attached is a picture of what I am searching for.

Thank you everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Jay, the felloes you have were originally made to go with Kelsey 88 rims and separate lugs, like these:

kelsey88

lugs

Hayes four lug rims that have the "foot" on each lug that extends inward towards the center of the rim will not work with Kelsey felloes (the outside of the rim will not be supported the full 360 degrees around the rim, the only support will be at the four lugs).

However, SOME four lug rims WILL fit your Kelsey felloes with full support on the inside and outside of the rim. These rims were made by Ford and do not have the "foot" on the lug that extends inward. The Ford rims will fit snugly on the outer edge of the felloe the full 360 degrees around, like so:

fordrim

rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Jay, your wheels are made to accept rims with no lugs attached. Those wheels will accept rims with lugs attached if they are NOT Hayes rims with the foot on the lugs. In your fitting/combination, all the drive/braking load is carried by the four bolts holding the rims on the felloes. This will work but you need to keep a close eye on the wheel bolt tension.

The correct loose lug rims for your wheels will have a rolled in ridge or a solid ridge around the felloe side of the rim. This ridge is designed to be wedged against the outside edge of the felloe when the wheel bolts are tensioned up. This interference fit takes the driving/braking load, the wheel bolts merely maintaining the tight fit between the felloe and rim. If the rims are in good condition and the felloes are not worn through having had loose rims on them, you should be able to insert a business card between the rim and the inner edge of the felloe.

With the fixed lug rims, the opposite is true. They are designed to wedge on a wider inner land on the felloe. When the wheel bolts are done up, the lug should stand off the face of the felloe. Again, if the rims are in good condition and the felloes have not had loose rims working on them, then the business card can be inserted between the rim and the outside edge of the felloe.

Others will differ from these thoughts.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Steve, we have been talking at cross purposes. Jay's photo shows the slot in the felloe to take a loose lug rim. Your Hayes rims require a relief in the outside edge of the felloe to accept the foot on the lug. Rather than a machined relief, it looks more like a pressed in relief on my Hayes wire wheels.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Bump....Still searching:
Trying to complete a '22 centerdoor.
Trying to match its current 3 wheels.
Need: Front wheel with 4 slits on steel felloe. Slits located adjacent to rim bolt holes.Need: Ford rim with 4 integral mounting lugs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration