FS on Craigslist - 1913 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FS on Craigslist - 1913 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

No relation to the seller. Saw this ad and wanted to pass it along.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/1913-model-ford-touring-car/6302032947.htm l

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Thanks. A well presented ad.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Those of us with a little more memory, than the average pet, will remember seeing this one before. Seems the suggestions given were heeded. I did notice, there was no price in the ad....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

"POR" - really? I just don't get sellers who don't put their price in the ad. Do they think that helps it sell? Seems to me it only aggravates potential buyers. Why not be up front and honest rather than playing silly games?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Its a neat car, i would get it running and drive as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

I agree with Steve. Not putting price is a huge turn off. It's like these dealers who say "inquire". What's the problem? Don't they know what they want for the car ? Or is the price so high that they are ashamed to let people see it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Vehicle has been listed previously on this site and HCCA. Don't remember the asking price. Created a great deal of discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Ryan Snellen on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Agree with Scott and Steve. I walk away from having any interest when no price is posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I love the pinstripes on the wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

If you are going to sell any vehicle:

Take current images showing what someone is actually buying.

Don't promise additional parts you don't have.

List a price - if you are firm then state so - if you are open to offers then say so.

If your vehicle has not ran in let's say - 40 years - it may need to be completely overhauled - price your vehicle accordingly.

If your vehicle has been for sale for several months - there probably is a good reason it has not found a new home.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

I believe the price was $18,000 when first listed. If my memory is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art ebeling on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

I think it was first listed asking what a fare price would be and after a few comments and prices in the 8500.00 range the owner got upset. His reaction to the comments was to keep raising the price to up over 18000.00. He had fond memories of his dad restoring the vehicle and some opinions from people his dad knew who had not seen the car for years saying it was worth high dollars. After a few posts he did seem to realize the car should have been reassembled and cleaned up, which he did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:26 am:

I asked the seller what the price is and it's 18k. I think a fair price would be around 14-15k. The car hasn't run in 40 years so there is a lot of maintenance to be done. Carb and intake are missing as well as windshield glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Seller is overly optimistic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:11 am:

The price has now been posted to the ad.
You guys all fail to realize some factors, which I intend to clarify for you.
First, when my Dad died the estate appraiser was sent to the Model T Guru in this area. The name is Horning. This fellow is as knowledgeable in this field as anyone. He appraised the car at $15k, site unseen. Meaning he didn't have to look at the car to know the value. Secondly, I've told All of the folks that have inquired $18,000.00, because this keeps ALL the "parts scavengers" at bay. Instead of bickering, why don't you just ask. No, I'm not ashamed of the price. Kim states that it is a $14-15k car, maybe so. But, I've also had people say it's a $10k car at best-Peter from Toledo. I'm not stupid, I'm not just going to piss it away. Too much of that has has happened already. The asking price is $18k, if you want it, pay it, if not, move on. Maybe you can sucker some idiot into selling you something for half it's value. The opinions expressed here really does not mean squat to me. It just reinforces my opinion that you are like a bunch of chickens squawking back and forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Jim Schenk Sr.,

Is this Round 3 for you ?

You had a couple chances already to find a Buyer here on the MTFCA site - that did not happen .....

Consider re-evaluating your approach in trying to sell your Model T ......

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I knew I had seen an ad for that car before, thanks for the reminder! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Mr, FreighTer,

Some of your opinions are to which I was referencing. Round 3? Maybe. Doesn't matter. I'm not a hard person to get along with. It just so happens that I've had interest AT MY ASKING PRICE. They just couldn't come up with the cash. And yes, It's been more than one person. So when you knock the car, and you try to knock me, just KNOW that there are people out there that see the value in the car that I see.
If I wanted to just "Give It Away," I could have done this months ago. Why don't all of you sell your Model T's for $10k? Or better yet, give them away $5k. That would be even better. Anybody out there have a set of Brass Headlamps? I'll give you $20 for a Set. How about $10 for a rear axle??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Okay,
This is for all you naysayer's and purists'. You look at me as though I am a dumb ass. And you've looked down your noses at me for the last time.

I've tried to keep it economical for someone that doesn't have $35k.
This clearly Did Not Work.

So, I am going to restore the car, and the Price Tag will be double what it is now.

Then you'll have a reason to squawk, bitch, and whine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

And by the way Peter, the car is not for sale to you or any of your cronies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Jim, You certainly have a heck of a chip on your shoulder or some where. Have you always had such a tender conscience and not able to deal with other peoples comments and advice.

In the future if you come back for any advice about your restoration you need to take the good with the bad and just move forward.

Good Luck with your restoration. It's pretty common knowledge it's nearly impossible to recoup the $$$$ invested that it takes to do a quality restoration unless you want to keep and enjoy the car yourself.

YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Hi Gene,

No, I just take offense when people try to take advantage of others. I have several individuals on this site that agree with me.

The car is no longer For Sale as I was offered $20k

Best of luck to you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Put it on eBay . Set a reserve and see if you come close to the 14-15 Kim stated. Let the market decide what it's worth. Who knows? It might get more, or less. But it will be seen by the masses and they will decide what it's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Hi Ed,

I would, but the only people that make money on Ebay is Ebay and Paypal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

It's not that bad,you usually get a higher price than a straight sale since it's an auction type sale, and that makes up for the charges. I've sold several cars on there over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Put it on there with a high reserve, and see what the price gets up to. If it doesn't sell, get a rebuilt carb and get it running, and try again. It will sell, it's a neat T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

I see the ad has been deleted now and yeah that car does look very familiar lol. Too bad he doesn't price it reasonable enough to actually sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/747699.html?1493156598

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/749034.html?1500817892

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Can we just give this a rest please. It only took a few comments before the wheels started to come off. Why we do this I don't know or understand. For those of us that have seen this vehicle posted before, we know that the seller is torn on what to do as to pricing because of his T model knowledge and can take comments personally like many of us would do with something we have strong emotions attached to it. His is based on memories of his disabled fathers love of the car. Can't we just see a listing and if we have questions just ask the seller by pm or on the thread without pointed negative opinions that could lead to a spur of the moment reaction from the person. I am thankful mixed in the comments were supportive constructive discussion points without an edge to them. Kim, Richard, Ed and others are prime examples of what good looks like. All of us, me included, as well as the seller should temper our actions with wisdom. I'm not trying to be the thought police but hope that we consider that our hobby grows by our ability to attract more people into the T model experience. I'd ask do you think this thread would entice a new person to join the ranks. We can do better than this, the Coast to Coast thread is a great one to reference as a thread that started with with constructive criticism and ended with support, exhilaration and a feeling of job well done. What it exemplifies is what we are capable of in helping someone with no T experience achieve what most of us will never do. Sometimes it's better to lose the battle to win the war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:19 am:

John,

Before you step up on the soapbox to preach ....

Read the first thread link which shows the Seller offered this
here on April 21st - then a day later threatened to pull it on April 22nd if he didn't get $15,000 ...

From there things just got worse ......

Some folks can't reload quick enough to stop shooting themselves in the foot - he refused sound advice repeatedly.

If someone wants to keep offering a car here for sale over & over again - if they choose to ignore sound advice - if they start attacking others who have been around here for years .....

They should be prepared for the outcome .....

This is ..... over ....... unless he returns a fourth time trying to sell it with the same approach ....

If you can't stand the Heat - don't start a Fire & keep feeding it.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:36 am:

I didn't post here for round 3. You guys did that by providing links and banter to my craigslist posting.

Which quite frankly, really was none of your damned business.

All I did was jump on your band wagon.

Because I'm not in your circle, and I defend myself,you guys don't like it. Tough, too bad. It's over for me when I say it's over. Not you.

I would NEVER recommend anybody to sell anything on this site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Hello to all, First off I would like to thank John T. for a very nice well thought out and constructive post. As for F. Jim keep your nose out of places or other peoples business which have no bearing on you. I have had you work for me directly or indirectly three times with excellent results. You have no and I mean NO real idea of value of Model T's. Please leave that up to the professionals like Kim, Mr. Chaffin, and the many others who have been collecting T or been in business for a long time and yes I have been an Appraiser of Value for over 40 years and owned Model T's for over 50 years. These people will tell you what was well bought or sold at the top of its value. Also you need to know all the facts including the ones behind the scenes before you open your mouth and let your ignorance show. Remember constructive comments only! (Please pay no attention to the remark about Jim's mouth I shouldn't have said that. I need to heed my own advice.) I will now leave this topic alone and for all to know this T has been SOLD.

And come on now we all know that POR just gets rid of tire kickers.

Happy Happy, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Hanson on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Well said both John and Steve.

If I had the room, I would consider the car at his asking price. I see these cars as labors of love and not necessarily financial investments. To each his own...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art ebeling on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

It's great it was sold. I hope the new buyer starts a thread about what it takes to get a restored car that has sat for forty years back on the road. I know of a couple of similar 70's restorations that have not been started for years and will probably (eventually) come up for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Jim, I hate to see you leave this site with bad feelings. This hobby and the people in it are one of the best things that I have been involved in life. I have friends in this hobby that I value deeply, there have been mentors, teachers, researchers and craftsman who have helped me over these many years. To throw us all under the bus is quite short sited on your part. There are bad apples in every barrel, but very few here.
I told you what I thought was fair market value for your car. If you got more, good for you. If you were looking for a group of people to give you bad advise and treat you unfairly, I don't think you found it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

I also find it amusing that the loudest kid in the sandbox is someone that doesn't even own a Model T and probably doesn't know how to drive one. Yet, this person is a self-appointed authority on all matters Model T related and gets his nose in everyone's business. Steve R. and John T. are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Let's go back to the old system of posting classifieds ads where the seller just lists his item for sale and the interested parties respond directly to him. Eliminate all of this nonsense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

I think the Congress and the Senate have been a bad influence on some people, Lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Harry, more often, added comments to ad posts are very instructive. In many ways, this one is no less instructive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Schenk Sr. on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I was Not directing my comments towards all on this site. My apologies to the Good folks here that gave me sound advise, and Thank You for it.

I did not come here looking for a fight. I came here because I thought this would be "The Place' to sell a Model T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration