Slightly OT: Infinately Adjustable Magneto Timing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Slightly OT: Infinately Adjustable Magneto Timing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MNToys on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Available now from Restoration Supply Company is this coupling that allows you to time a magneto infinitely. The center bore of the hub comes with a 1/2" bore to be adapted to your application. The dog drive on the front side fits a standard magneto impulse drive adapter. There is a worm gear inside that is adjusted by the two hex-drive shoulder bolt at the top. The hub is then clamped and locked in position by the socket head cap screw at the bottom. This coupling allows you to time a magneto with a timing light and adjust as you see fit. The body is 2 diameter. The body measures 11/16 face to face and the hub protrudes 5/16. Made in the USA of brass, bronze and stainless steel. Restoration Supply will have them at Hershey.
Thanks for looking,
Nick Rein

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Appears to be a copy of the Bosch adjustable Oldham coupling. Glad there is something on the market to replace it, as the Bosch coupling has been out of production for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I have seen this, and it is beautifully made. It is robust, and operates like it was produced by watchmakers. I plan to get one or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Another great product from Restoration Supply Company.I have some homespun versions of this on a couple of my cars, but they don't look like this. I'll be buying a couple or more of these! Thanks for posting this. It's great that we have businesses like Restoration Supply Company to help keep these early cars on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Is this piece generic and can be used on any Magneto?
I have a Bosch DU4 mag that I'm using on the speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MNToys on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Yes it would work with any magneto. This has been a long project. I needed a coupling for installing a more modern magneto with impulse drive on an EMF and necessity is the mother of invention, so I designed this. This picture is the prototype installed in the EMF. I've driven the EMF about 1000 miles with the coupling so far. The production version is a bit thinner, hence more versatile.

Thanks for everyone's kind words!
-Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Great Job, solves so many problems! I saw this coupling in operation and it is QUALITY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Just to clarify things here. The coupling mounts on the shaft of the magneto drive- not on the magneto shaft itself. The tangs on the coupling engage a slotted disc that in turn engages the tangs on the magneto impulse. If you don't have an impulse on your mag, you will need a coupling of sorts with a tapered bore and tangs to fit the intermediate slotted disc. Hope this helps a little.
Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration