1909 1910 front axle assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 1909 1910 front axle assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Anyone taking a 1909 1910 front end to Hershey? Am needing axle, spindles, drag link. Scott Rosenthal 513 378 4235

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Scott, that's an expensive order! Good luck; you never know what will turn up at Hershey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Scott, I have a very nice one but it is expensive. For some reason there are a lot of 6 Rivet rear end housings around but no front axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks Glen. Sent you PM.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Pure speculation. The early pressed steel rear axle housings were weak. Many of them got changed out when the better ones showed up just a couple years later. The weak ones may have been tossed behind the barn where they could remain for half a century until someone found it and rescued them (they kept many things that they thought may become useful for something). The front axles were not so bad. They stayed on the old car until the whole thing went into a scrap drive. Hence, rare front axles, and relatively common rear housings.
As I say, pure speculation.

Glen and Scott, Good luck to both of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Does anyone here happen to have a decent pair of six rivet axle housings they'd be willing to part with???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Chatten on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

How much does an early axle and spindles sell for? I haven't seen one for sale in years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Front axles are very rare. A front axle and pair of 6 rivet housings sold on e-bay i believe for $12,000.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

There was one at last years big 3 swap, including spindles it was 3 k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

The last pair of 6 rivet rear axle housings I had sold for 3200.
The last front axle and spindles sold for 2500.
Just relating my experience, not saying these are current values.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Wayne, you are correct that the no rivet rear axle housings were poor. The worst feature was the babbit axle and drive shaft bearings. These wore quickly allowing the pinion gear to skip a tooth on the ring gear and break the housing. These housings were very thin. I've seen a few over the years that were so rusted out that they couldn't be saved. Good no rivet housings are almost impossible to find.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration