Wanted. 60thou over egge T pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted. 60thou over egge T pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Hi all. Would anyone have a set of 60thou over egge T pistons with model A wrist pins that they would like to part with, as I have set up balanced t crank with model A journals.to find out egge stopped making them. Or some other piston rod combination. Much appreciated

chris Lawrence, New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 04:48 am:

Chris, are you sure it is a T crank with Model A journals? The model A journal size is MUCH larger than a T and for a T crank to have such large journals, it would have to be a "one off" custom crank, or a T crank with an impossible amount of welded up of material on the journals. If I'm not mistaken, Model A rod journal is 1.50 and T is 1.248. I have some new pistons that I bought on Ebay that are too small to be Model A, but the wrist pins are too big to be Model T. I'll measure them and post the dimensions. I don't think they are Egge but maybe some older period flat top piston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Hi guys

I think what Chris is after is a set of pistons with the gudgeon hole re positioned to permit the use of model a connecting rods.
I think egge did a run of them a few years ago but are no longer manufactured?

Cheers
Glen McConachie
Also new Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 06:44 am:

Hi glen and terry. Yes the crank journals are 1.48 to take model A rods. I have had the block line bored and larger main caps made. White metal for mains is complete. Egge made a piston with the wrist pin positioned in the oil ring so the longer A rod could be used and keep the 4 inch stroke. It is a bumac crank that was produced here,which I have had great success with in two other T's I have. but no longer produced. I brought off chaffins to put in my 1922 block, only to find the egge pistons in their catalog aren't produced any more. Scat make one similar. Terry , if the pistons you have would suit, you might be the the life saver. The only other option I have is to grind rod journals to T size. Thanks guys your input is invaluable. Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Chris are you looking for flat top or domed egge pistons I am pretty sure I have flat top .060 over that have very few miles on them (no wear) I removed them for custom domed ROSS pistons also may have some new ones but will have to confirm oversize if these are the ones you need let me know and I'll check inventory. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

my bad I just reread your post my pistons are for 4 1/4 stroke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Thanks Scott. Flat top would be great, but have thought if dome top had plenty of meat in the top of them, it may be possible to machine 1/4inch off the top, but they still need to have model A wrist pins. thanks chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Chris are you using full length A rods with 4 inch stroke the pistons I would have are for full length rods with 4 1/4 inch stroke Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 12:49 am:

I believe there are rods scat makes with a size Crank journals that will accept standard t Pistons at the top call langs speak with Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Hi Chris , I have just gone through the process and I could not find any pistons available . I ended up contact Ross Racing pistons and they
made a set of pistons to specifically suit my needs Model T Pistons, with repositioned gudgeon pin to suit the A rod and crank in my T block.
The pistons arrived an they are like a work of art.
Graeme

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 02:23 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 02:39 am:

Hi graeme. May I ask what you payed for your ross pistons. I will look them up. Thanks robert I will look at langs. Scott, 4in stroke t crank with A rods which are 1/4in longer than t.is the wrist pin in the oil ring in your pistons.thanks Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:41 am:

Chris, I checked the set of pistons that I mentioned, and they are close to T bore size, in fact they may be standard size. I saw nothing stamped on them, but they didn't fit snug in an .060. bore block that I have. I haven't measured the outside diameter or the wrist pin size, but the wrist pins are considerable bigger than T's. If they are under .060, you would have to sleeve your block back to standard to use them. I do not have rings, but that should be a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 06:32 am:

Thanks terry. I'll measure up what I have and get back to you with a size regarding wrist pin and piston to bore dimensions. Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Rings, I meant to say "that should be NO problem".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 04:47 am:

Hi terry, piston size is. 3.810 inches diameter which is 3.75" plus 60 thou exactly. If you could measure up your pistons and let me know, it would be much appreciated. Wrist pin needs to be 1inch. Let me know if wrist pin in your pistons is in the oil ring. thanks chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Chris, did you ever solve your piston problem? I have the pistons at my side and I'll post the measurements and if I can, a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:26 am:

OK Chris, Here's what I come up with: The diameter of my pistons are 3.762 or 3.763 which makes them .012 or .013 OS, as best I can measure. In reality, they may be .010 OS. The pins are .973, which is very close to 1 inch. Unlike Model A pistons, they do not ride in bushings in the pistons, but are a press fit, using C shaped spring keepers in grooves on each side of the piston at the end of each pin. If my pin measurement is correct and if Model A pins are exactly 1 inch, then you may be able to compensate for the difference by installing new rod pin bushings in your rods and without reaming them, maybe everything would be snug. Alternately, the pin is below all three rings and there is plenty of material around the pin, so they could be reamed to accept a larger piston pin. Of course, new keeper grooves would be required. The top and second ring groove ar 1/16" and the oil ring 1/8". I do not have rings but you should be able to get them in N.Z. I haven't taken all the pistons out of the box, so they may be short the pin keepers, too, but you should be able to find something to fit and work. Bear in mind that these are well under .060 OS, so your block would have to be sleeved and bored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:10 am:

Chris, I can't get pictures to load. PM me for pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Hi terry. Sorry not to get back sooner, thanks for all your help, but I'm going to have to find something closer to my needs.even some conrods with T tops and A journal ends would be great, and I would order another set of T pistons. I appreciate all the help terry. thanks. Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

OK, T owners, Chris has passed on these pistons. They are still for sale. $50.00 + postage is half of what I have in them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration