Wanted: cotton transmission bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: cotton transmission bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

I'm looking for a set of NOS cotton transmission bands for a 26/27 t. Please no recent reproduction bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Stephen

originals will likely be dry-rotted and not last long at all. In many instances they have also shrunk on their length, making them too short.

Just a FYI before you spend money on something that might not fit your needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I have used the original old stock Wards cotton bands and Scandinavian bands with good service for years. I set the rolls of my sheet metal slip roll almost touching and crank them thru the rollers. When they are about 3/4 inches too long I install them onto the metal bands starting with each end having about 1/8 inch overhang. Then work the excess length into position on the metal band before installing the remaining rivets. No problems yet. but your mileage may vary ... have fun and be safe ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Original "Scandinavia" linings were treated with an oily substance that, IMO, inhibited "dry rot" for the most part - that being said, I have seen them with minor mildew & a musty odor which I would NOT use - I've installed original "Scandis" in our 5 T's to date and the set in my Gramps' TT have been giving great service for near 25 years, albeit it doesn't get driven daily.

On a side note to Stephen - after Scandinavia was bought out by CANTEX Corp., they did keep the original weave & length (23 & 1/2") for some time before apparently some "bean-counter" figured by shortening each lining by one inch, after xxx number of linings cut from a roll they could get another xxx of "free" linings per roll - good math but not sound in theory !!! Lining too short !!! Unless, you segment them, which some folks do.

I believe the current production "Scandinavia" lining boxes still retain the CANTEX name but the weave is totally different than original - not as tight and seem to be a possible source of "pedal fade".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I think I may have what you need. However I am currently not near where they are stored. I will be back in 30 days.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration