Wanted: Set of wood felloe wheels for 1915

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: Set of wood felloe wheels for 1915
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:06 am:

I'm looking for a set of wood felloe wheels for a 1915 touring car. They don't have to be the best, I want to make my car into a roller. The closer to New York the better.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I've been looking a long time for front wheels for my 1914. They seem to be very scarce for some reason. I found a pair on eBay, and they're now at Stutzman's being rebuilt. The front wheels that are on my car now are later, square-felloe wheels that are also 30x3-1/2. I believe they are Canadian wheels, as all US front wheels are 30x3.

When I get my new wheels back from Stutzman in a month or two, and get them on the car, I will be selling the front wheels. They are a little loose, and the tires are ancient, but they hold air and I've driven on them without getting killed.

I'm on Long Island, which is close to NY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Richard, if you have wheels now why not send them to Stutzman and get rebuilt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

The wood in any original wheels you buy will be 100 years old or more. That's OK in a bed or a chair, but in wheels it's often a bad bet. You might consider what I did. Buy the rims, hubs, and other metal parts, and send them to Stutzman for wood. I realize that NYC isn't blessed with the estate auctions and swap meets found in other parts of the country, but I expect the dealers in used parts (Model T Haven, Lone Pine Enterprises, Antique Auto Ranch, Dave Huson, the Neunhoffers) can supply rims and hubs, and the small parts are available new from Lang's, Bob's, Chaffin's, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:01 am:

I will be selling a very nice front pair soon. If interested give me a call 831-278-2742. I'm taking them off my car and putting wires on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:33 am:

Steve, you correct that original wheels can be 100 years old or more, but I respectfully disagree that they would be a bad bet. I have seen many wheels that were in excellent shape and I have used/and are using them. It all boils down to the condition of them. Just be sure that they are sound. The '25 coupe that you rode in with me has all original spokes. :-) :-) JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:42 am:

That being said, wood felloe wheels would most likely be way more prone to be bad. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Thank you all for your replies. Daniel, I'll give you a call later on today.

I am looking to replace the Firestone 5 lug wheels on my car to turn it into a roller so I can sell it without the wheels. I agree that any wooden wheel should be rebuilt (my firestones included) but the car isn't road worthy at this point.

This is my car: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/786102.html?1509826350

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Richard, It seems to me a lot of people here have reading comprehension issues (I fall into that from time to time)and are prone to offer a stock answer without reading the authors message!
Where are you located, your profile is void of that information. I may have access to wheels of roller quality and live in the Central NY area!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration