FYI SCAM ON MTFCA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: FYI SCAM ON MTFCA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS NELSEN on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM R C THOMPSON OF OAKLAND, CA.I GAVE HIM A DEPOSIT FOR A 1912 TOURING, HE SAID THEY LOADED IT ON A TRUCK. HE KEEP LYING ABOUT THE SHIPMENT DATE., NOW HIS PHONE IS DISCONNECTED. MY FAULT ! BEWARE OF SCAMS ON MTFCA AND CRAIGSLIST

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Chris,

So - did you buy this from someone registered here on the forum or did you buy it from Craigslist ?

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS NELSEN on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:45 am:

HE SAW MY WTB AD ON MTFCA, AND CALLED ME ABOUT HIS 12 FOR SALE, I SHOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT FAR AWAY, WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT FIRST. I HOPE THIS HELPS OTHER TO BE VERY CAREFUL IN THE FUTURE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:21 am:

I have had people contact me from Africa offering me parts after i ran a wanted listing on here a couple of years ago. No, not that green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:34 am:

So sorry to hear about that. I'm just as likely to have fallen for this type of thing because I like to think people in general are honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:25 am:

I too fell for a similar scam from that area by a fellow who said his name was Renaldo McGlown, the alleged grandson of a big T collector in Reno. He too found me on this site from a WTB request. Had several good phone calls discussing the item and negotiating the price and arranging shipping. Arranged a money order transfer through Walmart. As you know this is a very simple process. After I confirmed that Renaldo has picked up the transfer it was the last I heard from him and my money. His cell phone was disconnected within an hour. This is a very clever scoundrel and I am a lot smarter. Thank You Renaldo for giving me an education, remember what comes around goes around. One day you will get yours. I am sure This character is lurking and watching for his next conquest. Trust but verify.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Hi, I advertised on MTFCA for items for my 1916 Ford building, a guy from California called me 6 times in 90 minutes with 10 original Ford signs his grandpa bought out of my building in 1958, 4 of them with our home town name on. He said he had an offer of a $1,000. I offered $2,000 but he would have to send pictures. He said it was impossible to send pictures, his camera did not work and he did not dare to borrow one. To be nice all I had to do was send $700 down and if I liked them send the rest of the money, he was very trusting, Ha Ha. Never heard from him again. If you are dealing on a car tell him you want a picture of him sitting in it to see how you might fit in it, at least you would know the car exists. Thanks, Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Frankly, I seldom, if ever, trust C.L. Way too many scam creeps on it. And yes, even with the forum we're gonna be subject to scammers. When I was selling my '15 I had umpteen scammers text me with some of the weirdest stories as to how they wanted to buy my car for "a relative", etc. And some were pretty convincing, but I could tell. I just deleted 'em. We all really have to be careful, sit back and think twice before responding to any inquiries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Consider the lost money as tuition. A good education is costly these days unfortunately. And this was a good lesson learned and shared with others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Tim,

I have bought all of my F350 CC Dually 7.3 PSD towing trucks off craigslist.

If used as intended by both Buyers & Sellers it is a great place to buy and sell everything.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:19 am:

I have a bridge for sale, any takers, just send cash, I will not tell anyone of your purchase and your money will be safe with me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:38 am:

SOUNDS GREAT. Always wanted one,Where do I overnight the Confederate Money. Ha Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Scene: Truck stuck under a bridge.
State Trooper: Son, looks like you're stuck under this here bridge.
Driver: No Sir, I was just delivering this bridge and I'm still waiting for them to finish installing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Jim, send Continental money. Much more dependable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Hi, I thought to avoid any issue is better buying from someone registered here on the forum. I have so please experience with fellow here, is like a nice family. I already experienced bad ending with someone on Craigslist. But here on MTFCA always nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:05 am:

With all the effort this guy puts out watching all of the "wanted" posts on various forums, sending out bogus responses, making up bogus reasons not to send pictures, stealing cell phones, keeping track of which name he's calling himself to whom this week, he could probably make more money just holding down a regular job! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:12 am:

We should use this site as a resource. I have purchased several vehicles over the years from places distant and sight unseen. In each case I thoroughly investigated the vehicle via VIN number, and the seller by proven permanent address, and any by other means I could come up with. It can be scary but with the resources this site has, it should be easier now. I suggest that since this is a nation/world wide group, that we contact members in the immediate area of the possible sale and have that person do a meet and greet of the seller and verify the description of the car. If I could look over a "T" in my part of Wisconsin for any distant member of MTFCA, I would gladly do it, knowing that at some future date I may need this service myself. If you contact the club home office with a zip code, they can get you contact info for local active members. That said, I'd still do as much homework myself as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Mark, For all anyone knows the scammer could be working a regular job, working over his victims at work, using the company internet all while on the clock getting paid !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Chris,

Sorry for you loss, thanks for sharing, may help others in the future, I know, not much comfort for you; other then you being an honest upright person, you did the correct thing informing everyone here.

Again Sorry...

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Another good tool to use is the profile. If they never have posted before and just signed up, proceed with caution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Unfortuntately, the scammers are getting better at this. Don't be surprised when a fake name matching that of a forum-regular is used to gain your trust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

F.J., glad to hear you've had good luck. But you've been in the business long enough and bought enough you can smell a rat in the woodpile!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Never use Walmart to pay people. Use paypal as it will protect you. Yes there is a fee involved but it is insurance against losing all your money.
My dad had someone contact him about is wanted ad for running boards for his Nash. The picture the guy sent showed them laying in snow yet he lived in south Florida. Then he asked for the payment thru Walmart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Over the past few years, I have had several emails from "regulars" on this forum. A couple, were clearly not legitimate, so I simply ignored them. A few others (looking suspicious), I contacted the "regular" through the forum myself, and they replied telling me that they had in fact not sent me any email. One good regular on this site also contacted me about suspicious email supposedly from me, so I changed several passwords in my email and other accounts. So, it does happen already, and apparently, not that rare.
Also, I do not anymore do Facebook, although I have left the account in place. Yet Facebook continues to send me "updates" on friends almost every day (actually the main reason I have kept my page there, a few old friends I otherwise would not hear from I like the little updates). Two "old friends" that were very busy on Facebook for years, for some reason I have not figured out :-) , have sent me emails that also look very suspicious. One is suffering from dementia, and no longer doing much email, the other friend died a few years ago. I suspect that both of those people have been hacked or copied from and spam sent.
Any browser (person) looking through open pages could do that. Not just from here. Be careful with any internet dealings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

for all those who have been burned tell the scammers on the other end that you would like to send a friend or fellow model t guy who is in the same state to confirm on condition!! I'm in California. Id do it for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

SCUMBAGS ALL OF THEM.
Sorry for your loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Recommend using an escrow service for large remote transactions. The seller and buyer agree to the service. Once the deal is made, the buyer sends the money to escrow. THe seller then ships the item. When the buyer receives the item, the escrow releases the money to the seller.

I did it once for a musical instrument purchase. There was a cost involved, but I don't remember it being very large.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

It might also be helpful if you tell the guy I want to contact a friend in that area to come and have a look-see if he is a scammer he will start back peddling quickly with phrases like It's not here at my house it is in storage in **** then you say I have a friend in that area.... they hang up after that! I have also seen request in the forum for someone to check something out. I know if I were close enough to check one out for someone I would do so and I bet there are others that would do the same!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

If you have a legit name and street address, call the guys police department and state your case. It worked for me. Also a Postal Money Order is your friend, Postal Inspectors will follow up on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

The same thing just happened on the vw forum site i visit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2116134

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Who handles the escrow service? Is it done through a bank?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration