For Sale Set of four X-rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For Sale Set of four X-rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Set of four X-rods, will need to be rebabbitted. $250, plus flat rate priority shipping $13.60 US only. (248) 650-17eightfive. rodxrod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Monday, November 20, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

The light weight X-rods are for a Model T. They require a special piston (different size wrist pin) which can be ordered from Egge or Jahn's (off-the-shelf). The rods have a snap ring in the center of the wrist pin area (similar to early Model A rods) that holds the wrist pin in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Price reduced to $225. plus shipping. These rods have the built in oil scoops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

price reduced to $200. plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:21 am:

Walt. How much lighter are the rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:27 am:

Hi From Iowa: I'm confused because I always thought these to be very early A rods? I was told that you could use them if putting in a A crank and used the special pistons with higher WP location? Do I need Help Understanding? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:59 am:

The very late production 1927 engines (usually the ones with the solid center block casting between cylinders 2 and 3), used the X rods with built in dippers on the rod caps. These are strictly Model T. To use them with an A crank, you'd have to turn the rod journals down to T size which is risky. If your going to put an A sized crank in a T block, you'll need to use A rods; line bore the block to accept the A crank; and use special steel main caps available from the vendors.

Gary, I'd have to weigh one of each type (and I have both types) but if the babbitt thickness and weight isn't the same, it going to skew the rod weight difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:37 am:

Gary, I'll have to get them weighed and give you an answer later. The X-rods were used in late 1927 for Model T's and early 1928 for the Model A's after Ford discontinued them. The rod on the left is a Model T rod.rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Ford discontinued them for a reason. Hang then on the wall and use the lightweight H-beam rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Erik, I wasn't aware Ford discontinued them in favor the the H rods. I thought he transitioned them into the As. I once owned a 27 roadster in the 15,000,000 range and it had the X rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

Why is that, Erik ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

The pistons used with the x rods were the problem, not the rods. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:14 am:

Richard, that is correct. The last T's were X rods, as were the first A's. The transition back to conventional rods was early in A production. They are stronger while only marginally heavier than X rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

Just weighed the rods and here are the results. Regular H-beam rods weigh 5 LBS 11 OZ for a set of four. The X-Rods weigh 4 LBS 12 OZ for a set of four. KGB is correct that the issue was with the pistons, which was a welded steel assembly. These X-rods work fine with aluminum pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Walt

Iím sending you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Late X rods will not work with aluminum pistons. They have a larger wrist pin and no pin lock. You could of course modify things to make it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Please see November 20 comment. Thanks, Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:26 am:

Thanks Walt. I have a set of these rods but have never seen one of the steel pistons. I have never heard of an x rod failing. Mine are NOS, never installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

I have a set with original steel pistons around here somewhere - I'll see if I can get a photo or two of the pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

Erik, as soon as I can dig them up I will post photo's of the Steel pistons, I think there were two styles for the Model T. Regards Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Please see link for X-rod discussion. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/589030.html?1451267588. Thanks, Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

I have rebushed the wrist pin holes then honed to fit new pistons, you need to cut the wrist pins down and use the neoprene bushing on the outsides like the aircraft use to hold the pin in place. Or you can cut the pistons for snap rings, with cut down wrist pins. If there is a will there is a way! Just my thoughts on them, some may not like that ideal?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration