Bosch magneto wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Bosch magneto wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

I am looking for a Bosch mag like the one in the picture. Sorry about the quality it is a picture of a picture. I would also like to find a coupler like it has. I do have the part of the couple attached to the water pump.

Best
Jonathan
(805) 540-9583

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

I've got one like that. It needs a rebuild.

831-278-2742

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Daniel- Great I will give you a call tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:15 am:

You should consider the adjustable coupler that Restoration Specialties just started selling. It's expensive, but worth every penny when it's time to precisely set your engine timing. Without an adjustable coupling, you will never get the timing correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Bob- Thanks I will look into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Can I ask what that engine is in the picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Steve- The engine is a Gallavan the block is also a 5 main. It is sitting in a sprint car that I have that was built in 1936. The care was restored about 30 years ago and never ran. At some point the mag went missing. I hope to have the car running soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Daniel- Thank you I just got the Mag and it is exactly as described.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Jonathan,That is a neat,neat motor. How do they put two more mains in it? Being a retired plumber,fitter, I can appreciate the soldered together top water pipe. Do you know or know of Doug Born in Windsor Colorado? Deals in early Ford and Chevy parts mostly but branching out into other early stuff. Three or four years ago I wholesaled a couple dozen mags to Doug and it seems to me one or two had that multi tooth coupler. I know several were Bosch anyway. Some of the mag rebuilders may have those in stock but if you bog down on finding one give me a holler and I'll rattle Doug's chain a little and see what shells out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Steve- The Engine block is not actually a model T block. It is just loosely based off of a T block. The mains are all Cast into the block. I do not know Doug but I would greatly appreciate if you could ask him about the multi tooth coupler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Jonathan,That makes sense to cast their own with five mains. I still have five or six mags in my storage bldg across town,don't remember a coupler like yours but will look tomorrow. In the meantime if you could count the teeth on yours and measure the diameter that would help. In your picture there is space between the coupler halves. It's possible the halves can slide that far together with keyways and set screws but it may also mean there was a fiber block between the two with grooves for the teeth. Do you have any idea if that was the case? I subscribe to Farm Collector magazine and there is usually an ad or two by mag restorers in there. If need be I can pass on names and numbers. I presume they get calls for all different couplers on a regular basis and may have a supply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Jonathan- that style mag coupling is available from these guys in England. https://www.completeautomobilist.com/categories/complete-automobilist-workshop-p arts-vernier-coupling.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Dan- Thanks for the heads up. I guess no need to look any further. I will just order what I need from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Jonathan,Hope that lead works out for you. I actually found ten mags,some with couplers but none like yours. Good luck. Going to make a last comment on your top water pipe. Most factory pipes are larger in front and go smaller towards the back. You could easily do that with reducing tee's,the front being 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" which would probably be about the size of your radiator neck,end up with 3/4" in back. Looks like yours is 3/4" all the way through and may not carry enough flow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration