Wanted Stewart Speedometer road gear for machined hub 60T-8P

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted Stewart Speedometer road gear for machined hub 60T-8P
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I am needing a 60T-8P Stewart road gear for the machined hubs. I believe the part number is #8685 and mounts with three bolts near the center hole. I have some other earlier speedometer road gears (probably 12-14 era) to trade, or I will buy it outright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I forgot the e-mail

dobro(at)artelco.com

just change the (at) to @

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Donnie, I assume your using 21" wire wheels? I'll look to see if I have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Terry, I thought the 60T-8P gear is for 30 in tires. Im running 30 x 3-1/2 inch Disteel wheels. The Disteel hubs are machined to accept the machined hub gear. I could be wrong (have been before) but I think the part #8685 gear came out in 1917-18 era when 30 inch tires is all Ford offered. Im basing this on the "speedometer book" and no real knowledge of my own ...

This is the gear I think I need ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Donnie, Your obviously correct and have the proof. I forgot that you were using 30 x 3.5 Disteels. I doubt that I have your gear, but I'll look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:20 am:

After doing some more research and studying the speedometer book, I think there is another gear that may also work on my Disteel wheels. It is part#11077 It is also made to fit the machined hub and is 60T-8P I think the reason for the part number change is it also has three holes at the outer rim to attach to the wood wheel with the three wood screws if needed. It is listed for 1919-1925 models. So it appears that I have two choices that will work. Either the part #8685 or part #11077

This picture and the two above are borrowed for research and discussion purposes only. Thanks mtfca....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Donnie, I have a 8685 but it is worn pretty bad, the teeth are sharp. I also have a couple of 11077. What are your earlier gears? I need one for 09 or 10. I don't know what number I'm looking for.
I have a #189,has 3 short projections inside and mounts with 3 screws to the spokes, and a 1822 which is a circle on the inside and mounts to the spokes with 4 screws both are 8P 6o T. I also have a 30333. Appears to be machined to fit the hub, 6 spokes and mounts with three screws to the spokes 8P 58 T. 21 inch wheels maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Dale, Can you measure the center holes in both of the gears #865 and #11077. I found a 11077 in my pile of parts. It is a pretty rough gear, but the center hole is OK for a measurement. The 11077 is way to big to fit the machined hubs I have, it measured 3.250. I measured the 3 Ford machined hubs I have and my Disteel wheel. The best machined hub I had and the Disteel hub measure around 3.065. Its hard to get a good measurement as the hubs have usually been treated kinda rough in that area because of hammering in the grease seals. The other two machined hubs measured aprox 3.125 to 3.190 depending on where you measured. But they were a little rougher as to hammer marks, and may be slightly flared out at the outer flange area. Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Donnie The8685 measures 3.125 one 11077 is 3.250 and one is 3.500. Someone may have bored the out for some other car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Donnie the 8685 measures 3.125. One 11077 is 3.250 and the other is 3.500. They obviously don't fit T hubs. I think some one may have bored them to fit something else

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Dale, Thanks for the measurements. It appears that the 8685 measurements are real close to what I was able to measure on my machined hubs. I found a 11077 for sale on e-bay. The seller measured it at 3.250 so that is consistant with your 11077 measurement. So it looks like Im just looking for a #8685 It may be close enough to make a spacer ring to center it on my hub, So still looking, anyone have a good one.... Dale let me know what you want for the worn gear you have. I could use it to verify Im on the right track. The extra gears I have are 13-14 vintage Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dorn on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Donnie. I have a 8685 gear in good condition that I would trade for 13-14 gear. Will pm you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Donnie you are welcome to the worn 8685. I just need to get it off the hub. Would you sell me a 13-14 road gear or even two if you can spare them. I have 13 and 14 tourings that I would like put speedos on. I have the speedos and one drive. I was under the impression that the 8685 was the correct gear for 13-14. But obviously I was wrong about that. Langs shows a 35 tooth gear for 14 to 17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Dale, Im trading the 13-14 gear to Dave for his 8685. Thanks for the offer of the worn gear, but I should be good to go for now. I already sold the second 13-14 gear to another member. This speedometer stuff must be a hot item. I have been contacted by several other members wanting my extra parts ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration