Quality brass plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Quality brass plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Looking for referrals for quality brass parts refinishing. These are early hardware, brackets, brake level assembly, etc. Located in Ohio but am expecting to ship where needed. Regards, Scott Rosenthal (513)378-4235.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:24 am:

scott

you might try grainger brass plating in dayton, ky.

they did my parts recently. great job, but very expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Thanks Stuart. I'm familiar with their lamp restoration work, but was not aware that they did walk in work...I will contact them. Used to use a very reliable guy in Saint Bernard, but that shop has since closed.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

yes, saint bernard plating was very good and reasonable. grainger did my lamp brackets and hand brake lever etc.
as i said previously, very good but very expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

just had acme plating in Kansas do my control lever and flash plate speedo swivel brakets,road gear. two week turn around. real nice work.
joe c.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

I'm curious too. Will have to have some hardware brass plated for my 1913s. I was going to do it myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

I need some parts plated too, not for my T but for other brass-era cars. I tried looking Grainger up on the internet but many Graigners out there. What is their address and phone number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Stuart,
Did you lacquer the brass coating or is it bare?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

graingers metal restoration and antiques, inc.
501 6th st
dayton, ky 41074
859-261-2345

these guys are an interesting bunch. and they sub out the nickel plating. the end result is very good, but expensive.

they do lacquer also, but i did not opt for that. i like to polish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Expensive compared to what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:53 am:

expensive i suppose as to ones relative income or disposable cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Okay, just looking for a point of reference. I consider expensive to be the jobs that I have to pay to have done twice. If something is higher quality than elsewhere because more labor is involved, or more labor is involved because the part was junk, it just is what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:50 am:

As long as we're talking about brass plating here, I have a question. On brass T's that have brass-plated spark and throttle levers, does this plating extend the full length of the rods? In other words, are the rods plated brass all the way down to the steering bracket bolted to the frame, or are only the exposed portions at the quadrant plated? If only the exposed portions on the quadrant, I assume the rest of the rods visible inside the engine compartment are painted black? Even in book and magazine photos I can't seem able to get a clear view to answer this.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Marshall,
My 09 has remnants of brass plating all the way down.
I spoke with Royce about this when he changed out his spark and throttle rods to solid brass. He pulled his old rods out of the garbage and said there was brass plating all the way down also.
Some people say they were only plated at the top but I disagree. I cannot say as to whether they were painted or not over the plating. Maybe they were?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought of it before, but are those rods made of brass and not simply brass-plated steel? I would imagine that the portion in the engine compartment would tarnish to a dark color if not polished. Maybe that's what people mean when they say this portion of the rods is black?
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Originals rods are brass plated steel.

That is very interesting because he-who-no-longer-posts-here stated definitively earlier this year:

By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 10:48 am:
Robbie,

The plating was only applied to the upper part by Dodge Brothers. None was ever applied to the part that shows under the hood, at least not intentionally.

.... and then a day later reversed his position:

By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 06:39 am:
I went and retrieved one of the old rods from the trash and stripped the 6 year old lacquer black paint off the lower part of the spark rod. Sure enough, it has brass plating going all the way down! Not only that, the plating was applied quite thick. It looks to me that Ford would have left the plating showing, just as they left the steering shaft bare metal.

------------------------------------------

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/718771.html?1485869430

Illustrating the point, always be diligent about your homework as this issue has been batted around a lot and it's too easy to take somebody else's word when they speak with authority.

There is nobody living today who worked at Dodge Brothers to confirm this vague detail, but I can tell you that I have an unrestored 1911 Torpedo column and those rods have traces of plating all the way to the end. I have also heard of unrestored columns that only have it at the top several inches.

It is my belief that this was probably an evolving part and they started out fully plated and, as Ford tended to do, started trimming unnecessary expense by cracking down on the details. That is purely speculation on my part.

The column I have was already separated from the car by the time I obtained it, so I can't say when in 1911 it was produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Thank you for the information. I have never had any luck with this site's search engine when I try to research a question before posting it. The search function just idles and hangs up without ever finding my selected key words. Unless I happen to read such threads and remembered the concensus answer, I'm out of luck. 'Glad you were able to pull up this past thread.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

You're welcome.

Easiest way to search is to use Google. Just enter your search word(s) and add MTFCA. The unique acronym mostly limits results to forum posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

'Will do. Thanks, Walter. Ain't Google great?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

From my personal experience, and I am not an authority by any means, I have taken apart and restored somewhere around 30 steering columns. Of the five 1909 columns I did, 4 of the 5 seemed to have evidence of brass plating the full length. 1 of the 5 clearly did not have plating below the gearbox. Many of the 1913-15 columns I have worked on did not appear to have brass plating lower than the gearbox, it basically extended around the 90 degree bend to about 4-5 inches. You could clearly see where the plating stopped. Maybe there were various vendors for the steering column components? Interesting topic for sure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration