Going West in a Model T Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Going West in a Model T Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Burdick on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:11 am:

In 1919 Jim and Bill Kackeison (bachelors in their twenties) drove a 1916 Model T Ford from New York State to California. It was the adventure of a lifetime. It may have been the first ever road trip across America in a Model T.
Paved roads, bridges,maps and route signs were seldom available. They relied on a compass and the sun to get them to "Frisco or Bust". When there was no gasoline they used kerosene. Flat tires, wolves, mountain lions and the high peaks in the Rocky Mountains were challenges they had to overcome.When money was low they would stop and work. They carried with them a 38 caliber pistol which they had to use more than once. Jim Kackeison kept a few notes and a map they were given at the B.F. Goodrich tire plant in Chicago. He asked me to "put it in Writing". This is their story. The paperbook, and Kindle, book is available on amazon.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:25 am:

You might want to repost this as a "for-sale" item in the clasifieds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Well, DUH!

Guess I got lost there for a moment!

Good luck with your sale, James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

There is no offense meant to James. I got confused as to where he posted, and the "DUH" was to myself for suggesting he move to classifieds, where he did indeed originally post. If I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Welcome to the group, James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Back in the '60's, I was in Kemmerer, Wyoming, en-route between SLC and Big Piney, Wyoming. There was a pretty good blizzard blowing at the time, so I had stopped to eat a good meal before getting out on the Plains, roads back then were pretty bad. Anyway, there was an old couple in the Café, sitting in a Booth, and I just ambled over and got to visiting, I was a bit concerned that they were out in weather like this at their ages. Come to find out, they had taken a trip across America on their Honeymoon, and that was back in the teens. This had been done in a T, but at the time it didn't stick with me as to the year, but I do remember that it was Brass. That turned out to be one of the most interesting conversations I had ever had with anybody, and I would give a lot if I had written it down or got more personal information. They were following basically their old tracks that had taken them to California, where they had settled all those years
ago. Some of you may be familiar with those roads of that day and time, they were not much, and their stories of burning Kerosene, camping out on the ground, and such, were wonderful. I have often wondered about them, they have been long gone now, but that would truly be a story to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler searle on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Mr. Puryear

I hope that you record all your adventures over the years. I'm sure others feel the same. I always enjoy your stories.

Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

James,

That story has been told many times in many families for many years.

It may be new to you but back then adventure called many other young men and women to answer with a road trip across the lower 48 states .....

And it continues today - this year saw an Englishman make a cross country trip that was detailed here on this forum.

Good Luck with the sale of your book.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration