Fabric behind mirrors in gas lamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Fabric behind mirrors in gas lamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

What is the purpose of the fabric behind the mirrors in gas lamps? I know it used to be asbestos, that it needs to be flame resistant / high temp, and that Lang's sells a repop made of fiberglass cloth (looks like from a welding blanket).

Is it for padding, or to prevent heat transfer between the glass and the back panel of the lamp? It seems like it would accomplish both.

Does this look like a suitable substitute? My mirrors are due to arrive back today and I want to be sure I put something adequate behind them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9JV7YJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie= UTF8&th=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Sorry, wrong Forum....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration