Model t valve seat cutter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Model t valve seat cutter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By garry houser on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

i want to buy a good valve seat cutter for my model t. thanks garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Only way to go !

http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/neway-valve-seat-cutters.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Agreed. One thing I've learned and will pass on. The adjustable guides need to be cleaned after each use. Tiny particles will enter the splines after use and distort the angle the next time. I have darn near ruined some seats before I realized this. Best to have solid guides but they are not available from Neway for one (maybe both) of the oversizes if memory serves.

The other thing is that once you've determined the right sizes of cutters you need, you can find them on eBay a lot cheaper than the new ones.

Final observations (IMO), get the cutters with 5 blades not 3.

The valve face resurfacer is not good. Use a lathe with a carbide insert or a valve grinding machine and go slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Richard

good advice on the adjustable pilots. Even Neway mentions their less accurate chance for use and states that since there is a demand for them they fulfill that demand, but believe solid pilots are superior. I think that's pretty big of them to state so. Anyway, not sure you've seen this page so will list link...many, many pilots at and around the size we need. I just bought a solid pilot for a job using 1/64 O/S valves, 21/64 -.001 and it worked great.

http://www.newaymfg.com/parts/solid-pilots_standard-fractional

regards,

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

Garry

If you do go with Neway, call them and tell them the application...they know what Model T's use for size/angle of cutters and will put together a "custom" kit for you.

When I bought my kit years ago (which I have expanded out of necessity) I talked to a very nice fellow who had done a fair amount of conversing with "T" folks and between them, came up with an "ideal" combination of cutters and pilots.

Best of Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

Thanks for the info Scott. I've saved the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

You bet, Richard

I just looked at a new set for sale. GULP! Glad I bought mine when I did. I remember it hurt at the time, :-) but wow have prices changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By creston on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

model T tool
valve1valve2
valve3valve4
valve5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By creston on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

box close-up
valvem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

I used a set like show above to grind mine ^. Then lapped the valves and they look fine. As long as the pilot fits snug but not too tight in the stem hole(it has to rotate) and you lift and rotate the tool it works in the soft cast iron block. If you have inserts may or may not work on them depending on the material the seats are made of. If you are cutting new seats in inserts you might need to get the better cutters.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration