U & J choke pulls

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: U & J choke pulls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

I spent the day finishing up 6 more U & J choke pulls -- the end of the castings I had made. I owe three of them to U & J's that are sold, one has no U & J marking since the casting was pretty thin and the logo ground off pretty easily.

So I have three for sale out of this first batch of 25 that I had cast several years ago. I couldn't find my camera and it's ten below and snowing, so I don't have a photo right now but will later.

1. Buffed to a high gloss, no black background to the logo.

2. Polished to a gloss, not buffed, black background to the logo.

3. Polished to a gloss, not buffed, no logo.

Several people had inquired about them before.

Here is how to order one if you want one.

Email to Stanhowemt@aol.com They are $150 each, come with the wire to attach to the carb, you will need screws to put it on the dash, either wood or metal. First emails buy.

I will let everyone know how we came out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Stan, I hope my four are included in this run.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Stan: Hi From A Ice Storm In Iowa! I could use one of the U&J choke pulls for the Carb I got from You a whale back! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Rick, all of your order should be there tomorrow. It's been sitting on the packing bench since about Christmas, finally took it to the post office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:13 am:

I'll give you first pick John. I'll have a picture by Sunday, you can tell me which one you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:23 am:

Stan: Hi From Icey Cold Iowa To Cold Montana! Thanks for getting back - there is no rush on my end! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Sold two, one left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Thanks Stan, I will have some model T jewlery to look at while I recover.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Thanks Stan for reproducing the U&J choke pulls.

How many U&J carbs do you think you have restored over the years??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

25 or 30?? Enough that I made some specific tooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Wow! That's a lot of ZOOM ZOOM Stan. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Like a lot of carbs, they were virtually worthless until I started redoing them because every bowl pretty much anyway, was cracked. They are built on some odd ball measurement system that nothing is available for today. I figured out how to machine the body and rework a Holley g bowl, I make a needle and seat conversion and new venturi for them. Now the ones I used to buy for 25 are 200 and not complete. They are a great carb, I still have 2 or 3 to rebuild but no time right now to work on them. I bought the only nos one I've ever seen, that's where I got the choke pull. Mike lebsack - the guy who makes the McLaren wheels - had them recast. I also have the only known cyclone carb which is similar to a u and j that I would like to repop. No time, no money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

One left!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Stan: Hi From Snow & Ice In Iowa! I talked with Mike L & he was very happy with your project & the way you two worked it out!!! I have not seen the pictures, but Mike said to choose the one with the best lettering - so that will work for me!!! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

=) It was a great project. When I saw the original castings I was unsure if there would be a beautiful choke pull in there or not. There WAS!! After the first 3 or 4 I figured out how to machine them and after the first dozen or so I quite trying to replicate the spring tension on the adjustment rod they way they did it and added a little spring tension fitting to the side. Much easier to make and get to work correctly.

Debating about another batch of castings, I'm going to talk to Les Schubert about investment casting. I bought a bunch of lost wax/investment equipment a couple years ago but there are not hours enough in the day. I spent most of the day today between naps and coughing trying to mount a little drill press I've had for years and never got set up ---- old and slow, slow and old. Need a nap and a cough drop, that's why I'm in the office at 7 instead of working. Plus my feet are cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Take care of yourself Stan.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration