Best way to fix this engine crack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Best way to fix this engine crack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

I have a spare engine and transmission I purchased for $50 last Sept. My son and I are using it as a father son project to learn more about Model T engines, and use it in our 1923 Touring. I tested the head and block with Magnaflux spotcheck, the head is fine, found this crack in the block. It's in #4 cylinder to the head bolt. I'm looking for an economical way to repair this. I haven't taken the crank out yet, currently it turns very well, and plan on checking it for cracks.

If the bearings are ok, possibly new rings and valve job. The engine in our 23 touring is running great at the moment and will eventually need at least a valve job. Our thoughts are to rebuild this spare engine and transmission with minimal cost as possible. Then next winter pull out the original engine, rebuild it along with the original transmission over time, while running the car with this spare engine and transmission. As long as this spare setup runs ok, leave it in place and use it, only putting back in the original setup if and when the spare setup gives us issues?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions, we purchased the families first model t, last sept and have been enjoying the journey of working and learning so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Whoops, posted in wrong place, sorry will post in the forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

You might be able to install a Keensert or similar thread insert and file it flush with the block. There may or may not be enough meat there for this.

Or, you could sleeve the cylinder.

Or you could play like you never saw it and use as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Spray weld and sleeve.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration