Wanted- Vintage Tachomter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted- Vintage Tachomter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Looking for a complete vintage tachometer for Model T speedster project. Does anyone by chance have a Buzz Tach that they would be willing to sell? Open to any set up that is in working condition. Thanks, mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thomas Forsythe on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:05 am:

Here is what you are looking for! I found it new old stock on eBay about ten years ago. I also bought the brass case of a '12 speedometer to match that in our Touring. With a bit of effort I was able to install the tachometer to match. Be patient and keep looking. It took me a few years to find mine.(This unit operates at camshaft speed as most do, to provide the correct engine RPM.)Regards, TomTachometer for a T Ford'12 Speedometer showing case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:10 am:

William what does the sending side of your tach setup look like and where does it drive from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Thanks William,
This or something similar is what I am looking for. I am hoping that someone may have a tachometer set up and would be willing to sell it. I do understand that they are not a common item and that a nice one will have a price tag. Maybe I have something a little on the rare side that someone would like to trade for as well. Thanks in advance for any help with this "treasure hunt". Mike 319-four threezero-fortynine ninetyfive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Reichlin on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Mike
Check with Russ Furstnow if you haven't already

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

2400 is a little low for my speedster motors. I've seen a lot in the 4000 range that could be modified in a similar fashion.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Mike, I have a unique rev counter for you, itís a Jaguar SS100 rev counter - message me for pics - itís a gem!

Thxs
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thomas Forsythe on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

To answer Jay: To properly drive my 65 amp Nippon-Denso alternator I had to change to a Serpentine belt and a set of 8 groove Serpentine pulleys.(Too much load for the conventional flat Model T belt that broke after one good run. Lucky I
carried a spare under the rear seat.(The belts are about the same width.)I took another 3" diameter pulley, the same as on the end of my crankshaft, mounted it on a shaft with two suitable bearings in a piece of heavy walled steel tubing, with a suitable mount that gives me adjustment to run this pulley on the inside of the belt. Then a flexible shaft goes back towards the tachometer where it connects to a 2:1 90 degree angle drive. From here a second flexible shaft in the vertical, connects right into the tachometer. I'll try some photos!Tacho drive (1)tacho drive (2)tacho drive (3)tacho drive (4)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Thomas Forsythe on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:20 pm:

To answer Jay: To properly drive my 65 amp Nippon-Denso alternator I had to change to a Serpentine belt and a set of 8 groove Serpentine pulleys.(Too much load for the conventional flat Model T belt that broke after one good run. Lucky I
carried a spare under the rear seat.(The belts are about the same width.)I took another 3" diameter pulley, the same as on the end of my crankshaft, mounted it on a shaft with two suitable bearings in a piece of heavy walled steel tubing, with a suitable mount that gives me adjustment to run this pulley on the inside of the belt. Then a flexible shaft goes back towards the tachometer where it connects to a 2:1 90 degree angle drive. From here a second flexible shaft in the vertical, connects right into the tachometer. I'll try some photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

Cool William, thanks for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Mike,I have a fairly vintage firetruck tach that is cable driven. It has about 18",maybe 2' of cable so it was probably driven off a distributor on the back of the engine. You would have to figure out a drive. If interested I'll dig it out and shoot you a couple pics. I think it's across town in the storage bldg. and I can't remember the max RPM but probably not more than 2800.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 01:56 am:

I have seen tachometer drives pictured on this web site? Wish I could remember the details.

The ideal unit is a 2400 RPM WWI aircraft tachometer. Most of those are 2:1. They mount to the wood dashboard with 4 ears., and the cable routes down from the bottom. Need to be sure the rotation is the correct direction..

I see them from time to time on www.prewarcar.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration