Wanted: FREE advice on selling here and receiving payment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wanted: FREE advice on selling here and receiving payment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:23 am:

Hello to ALL! I have been a T owner for a little over a year now and have spent hundreds of hours on this website educating myself on Model T's from all the forum questions/answers, to also buying items from the classified. I now have accumulated some "stuff" to sell and I would like advice on what is acceptable in the Classified here for buyers to be assured they are getting what they bought and me as the seller, getting my payment. I have bought "stuff" off Ebay and always use Paypal there, not only to protect myself, but the seller is assured they get their money too. I have never sold on Ebay yet, but may sometime soon if on here doesn't work. I know Ebay gets a percentage, but I didn't think Paypal did too? Recently, I bought "stuff" from a couple of Classified ads on here and when using Paypal to pay the seller, Paypal took out a percentage of the payment - which I had never experienced on Ebay - at least that I knew about. So...after this info here, what is the "accepted practice" on the Classified here if I don't want to use Paypal since they want a "cut" of the action? As the seller, do I wait to receive and cash the check from the buyer before shipping to them what they bought? I like to believe in the honesty of people, but unfortunately, sometimes that isn't prudent. PLEASE advise me on how to sell here so the buyer is "comfortable" for what they are purchasing and with me getting my payment. Much Thanks in advance to those responding! Sincerely, Walt Wise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:43 am:

Nothing leaves the seller's hand until it is paid for- in full.
If the buyer has a problem with that, they're trying to scam you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Ryan Snellen on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Great question Walt and one that hasn't been asked on the classified forum in quite a while I'm sure.

Common and best practice, as a seller, posting sufficient & detailed pictures of what you're offering (photo's must be less than 250kb). Include price, if shipping is included or extra, any shipping limitations (lower 48 only, not international, etc), and accurate description. There are a great group of guys and gals here, so if you're not sure, ask for further advice on an item if needed. I've also seen descriptions include previous ownership such as 'carburetor was rebuilt by ...' or 'I used on my XX and changed to..', etc.

Once you sell an item, please post "sold" or "sale pending payment" which is common. It'll let the community know it's spoken for or a possibility the deal may far through.

Receiving payment - you can set the terms. Cashiers check, personal check, PayPal, venmo, etc. PayPal is widely accepted but not a given. ALWAYS use the
FREE "friends and family" feature as we are 'friends and family' here :-) Venmo is newer and less hassle having to worry or be concerned if you've selected the wrong feature as there is no other payment option other than free. Of course, once your payment is received, mail promptly and always communicate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Myers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Walt,
I've only purchased about 10 things from this site in the last couple of years. All my experience has been great never had an issue with a seller. I would send a personal check and when it cleared the sellers bank they sent me the part. Although, some sellers did send the part the same day I sent the check. I have found the people on this site very honest and trust worthy.
Randy Myers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Hello Everyone,

A little info on PayPal. When using PayPal through a credit card account, they will charge for the credit card usage.

On the other hand, if you send a "gift" to someone and have your CHECKING account used, there is NO additional charge to either party. We have used this method several times when buying from sellers on this forum. It sure makes everyone happy to get the security of PayPal without added charges.

Check it out to ensure it will work for you.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:21 am:

Walt: I buy T stuff all the time, and I am close. Send me pictures and what you want for it. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Jamieson on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:34 am:

I buy and sell parts via e-transfer with an account specific for this. Never had an issue. Once the money is in the account i ship parts along with a tracking number. If they wont talk to you on the phone it's a scam.
If you have a wanted ad and its to good to be true it is... Google search the image they send and it will be from a forum almost all the time. Copy and pasted.

Thats my 2 cents anyways.
I'm new here so hope that was use full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Lach - Milford, NH on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:04 am:

If you send payment via PayPal as a gift, you lose your protection as a buyer. You can not get your money back if scammed. Only send as a gift if you trust or know the individual. Not that you shouldn't trust people here. That's just the downfall of that option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:48 am:

I have been selling for years on e-bay and also here in the classifieds. The main thing is to use "common sense" Several good (clear) photos are a must. Then a good description of the items condition is also a plus. If you are unsure of the items year, or what model it fits, just say that you do not know what it fits in the description. Then always give a price and if shipping is included or the shipping is to be paid by the buyer. Pack the items very, very, well. According to the Post Office "it must be able to withstand a "repeated" 15 foot fall" I do not understand the "repeated" part, but that is what it says. Insure it if you want to, but it is almost impossible to win a claim if something gets damaged. I have shipped well over a thousand items, with only 5 or six being damaged. I "self insure" and do not buy insurance anymore.

As mentioned above the "send money to a friend" feature does not have any fees. But there is also "no protection" for either party. The "send payment for goods or services" option does offer protection, but there are fees. I always say to "chose whatever option they are comfortable with" if using pay-pal. So far everyone has chosen the "friends" option. I also offer to accept personal checks (with 10 days to clear) or accept money orders. If I know the person I ship almost as soon as it sells. But the safest thing to do is wait till the payment is received. Then also wait the 10 days for the check to clear, if it is a personal check. So far I have zero problems with sales on this site, and no real issues on e-bay. Just remember to use "common sense". I also ship international. I accept "pay pal only" as my payment on international sales.

If the part sells remember to add a note on the ad that it has "sold" or is "pending payment" It is just common curtisy to do so. Also answer "all" your e-mails or PM messages you receive, even if the item has sold. I have sold things that I have received dozens of e-mails wanting to buy it. The person in the first e-mail bought it, but I still answer "all" my e-mails.

There are also items that are too big to ship. This time of year, with the Chickasha swap meet coming up. I offer some of the heavy items for sale and free delivery to Chickasha. That also works for other swap meets you may attend. I have sold 100s of items that are too heavy to ship that way.

Good luck with your sales .... have fun and be safe ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:12 am:

I gave up selling on Ebay when they required you use Paypal exclusively.....especially when it tapped into your bank account.

Nope....Postal money order or cash only these days. A personal check might be okay if the person's reputation is good....but do you really know?

Protect yourself first...too many scams/crooks out there these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

I've been selling for years. Never had a bad check. My personal take on PayPal is that they provide a service and deserve to be paid for it. It costs money to be in business. Selling and buying is business, not family and friends. If somebody is sending you money to get through until payday or a gift to your kid, that's friends and family. If you are buying parts I expect to pay the fees. My personal take on honesty. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

You're on your way!
You've gotten the free advice.
Now, get out there and sell!
These guys on the forum know what they are talking about...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

And at the end of it all consider a donation to the MTFCA without this forum you would not have buyers. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

I have a Pay-Pal account and have bought and sold over 1000 things on ebay. I do not use Friends and Family unless I am sending to same. I do not want to risk messing up my account. If payment is thru Pay-Pal I send an invoice if the buyer has an account which seems most do. This way I am protected and can even print a shipping label off the site. Promoting cheating by not doing it right should, in my OP, not even talked about here. Other wise it's check or money order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

I have been buying and selling on this site for about 20 years. I take personal checks when I sell, wait for them to clear, convenient for the buyer. Never have had a problem. When I buy, if the sellers is reticent to accept a personal check, then I use electronic transfer of funds (ETF). Money orders can easily be worthless (fake).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

90 percent of what I sell is from my web sites and references from other customers. I get paid by check, PayPal, cash, whatever and have never had a problem. More than once somebody's eyes were bigger than their checkbook but when you consider my world wide costumer base and thousands of customers over the years I have had virtually zero problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 10:34 am:

OT Stan did you get my email?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Yes, I'll send you what u need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

When using PayPal invoicing you can add the PayPal fees to that persons invoice Some businesss are now adding the credit card fees ontop of the purchase PayPal is actually the best way to go payment, tracking packages, and refunds if necessary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:56 am:

THANKS to ALL for the spectrum of free advice! As a newbie here, I wanted to proceed with an "accepted practice" of selling on this forum so not only the buyer is "comfortable" with a sale, I am too. Now if I can figure out how to take pictures with this fancy camera I bought and the stringent guidelines here in posting them, I may be well on my way to cleaning off items cluttering my workbench. Again, thanks to all that responded. My desired intent is that anyone that buys any of my items, that they will be content with them. Sincerely, Walt Wise...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration