What am I looking at ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: What am I looking at ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

Pulled the wheels on my '13 yesterday to begin overhauling the rear axle, I see this modification to the outer grease seals. Does this indicate retrofitted bearings as well ? Any "permanent" modifications to original housings ? Your thoughts please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Hello Rich it looks like somebody used a modern steel and put some screws in to hold it in place deafly not original cannot tell if the housing has been modified Thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

Rich,

I think you're looking at the classified section...

As to your bearing/seal, it's really difficult to tell with all the dirt. The more you disassemble it, the more you'll know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

Brain-dead post to the wrong section. Sorry !!!

Thanks for the replies, Jerry you're right, I'll learn more as we continue to tear down. I just wondered if this was a recognizable item from vendors, or someone's "invention".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

I've not seen one like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

The housing tube is riveted to the backing plate casting. It extends one inch out from this casting. The Hyatt Bearing and race are fitted in this tube. Some modifications for floating hubs etal require that this extended part be cut off to make room for a modern bearing. I can't tell from the picture but this may be the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Thanks for that tip Warren.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration