1909 2 lever Ford for sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: 1909 2 lever Ford for sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

I'm listing this for a friend, the car is located just outside of Portland, OR.
The engine is complete, the block and head was cast a number of years ago by McTavish of Canada. The machining of the block and head is also by McTavish. The one piece pan is original, The steel trans cover was made from an oil pan and is an excellent job with great attention to detail. The correct style water pump radiator is new reproduction. The body is by Ray Wells, painted Carmine red and was matched off original paint samples. The leather upholstery is very nice. The frame is an original 1909-10 with early fish plates added and riveted as original. One piece front end and steering column are original. The rear axle is the correct no rivet nicely converted from a 6 rivet. The correct style long drive shaft is by the late Ernie Brown. A full set of new fenders are included. There is no hood, splash aprons or running boards. A full set of lamps is included, New 466 E and J headlights, original 3 tier E and J sidelights and tail light. This is a very complete car done by a very talented craftsman, representing years of work. Take a look through the pictures and email me with questions. $70,000.00 kdmks AT att.net. The brass steering columns laying on the frame and parts and tools in the background are not included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Kim, is Wayland selling his whole collection?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

No, I think he would sell some of the projects, model C Ford and model F, but the whole collection is not for sale. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Interesting "adapter" made for the head bolt holes for the KRW engine stand !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

I'm with you, Steve. That's what caught my eye as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Mr. Kim Dobbins - for those who may not know - is the foremost living expert on the 1909 Model T.

( in my humble opinion )

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

This is absolutely fascinating. I hope I am not overstepping the boundaries of politeness, but who is this man who has created all this? My hat is off to him. Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Bill, his name is Waylon Henry, Dundee, OR. Certainly one of the most talented men I've ever met.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 12:32 am:

That motor sure looks nice.
I am confused by the coil box. The Encyclopedia indicates the coil box with terminals on the bottom was never used in production.

Part # Factory # Description
N1520 ----- Heinze. Pre-production 1909 with terminals on the bottom of the box. This was the same box that was used on the later Model S Fords. Part number is an N-R-S number. This box was discontinued before car number 1.

1909 to early 1911
4200 ----- Kingston. Used 4215 coils. Rear terminals.
4250 ----- Jacobson-Brandow. Used 4256 coils.
Note: Ford parts books show the name as Jacobson-Brandon
but the actual name was Jacobson-Brando

When I saw s/n 220, it has the box with terminals on the bottom and now this one has the same arrangement.
Maybe Bruce (RIP) was wrong or maybe the restorers of these vehicles just prefer the earlier arrangement without regard to what is correct.
Does anyone know of any definitive documentation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 06:01 am:

Tony, I think you are correct, the box pictured was probably not used on the early 1909 cars. Part of the problem is that the production records are missing for cars number 2 to 1119. So there is really no way to say exactly what carb, coil box and other components were used on those cars. The reason the early box with the insulators out the bottom is offered with the car is probably because that's what #220 has on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 06:07 am:

A correct early exhaust manifold and Kingston 5 ball carb are also offered with this project. I'll try to get pictures of those tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 09:04 am:

As I recall car #90 has the same coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Hi Kim: That's what 220 HAD on it (wink wink!) Dunno about 90.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MNToys on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Kim: # 131 also has same coil box, Manny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Konarowski on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

Sandy McTavish of Canada also passed away a couple of years ago. Another great lose to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Buck on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:19 am:

So, I will ask the question. What S/N is it going to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul murphy on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 04:13 am:

# 425 also has the same coil box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:18 am:

Is that oil filler tube in the top photo the same as the NRS ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:21 am:

I see on this block that there is a serial number spot near the front of the engine. When was the serial number moved to that spot from in between the ports on the top of the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Herb, the NRS breather tube is different. As far as the serial number location, I think around 500 but I'll look in to it and try to varify that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Paul on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:24 am:

The 2 lever Model T in the California Auto Museum has that same coil box also. It's interesting they call it a 1908.
The serial number is 743, or close to that. Is it a 1908 or 1909?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Michael, I think #307 was the last car assembled in 1908. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalanšon on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Very beautiful job already done by this man.
Mine is not at this step of restoration..
Good luck for the next owner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Paul on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:42 am:

That makes it an 09 based on the body serial number plate. I shouldn't jump to conclusions, the engine number could be something lower. I didn't look under the hood.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Popadak on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Just by blowing up the photo of the engine my initial guess on the engine serial number is 1122.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Wouldn't that be too late for a water pump engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 09:07 am:

The encyclopedia says the cutoff was around engine 2500.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fan1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

It would be too late for two lever Model T. The cut off on them is around 800. This T has many reproduction parts,.but out side of two or three two lever Model Ts, most have repo parts. Ford Co. sold parts in 1909 to make a two lever Ford into a one lever Model T. Several have now have been converted back to a two lever Model T. Probably my last posting for several weeks. My by pass is tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

OT.Good luck with your bypass Mr. Leipold. Me and my family, and I'm sure most members, shall say a prayer for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration