For Sale: Very Rare Ersted Model T Power Unit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: For Sale: Very Rare Ersted Model T Power Unit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Monday, March 19, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

I have a very rare factory built 26-27 model T power unit that is mounted in it's original cast steel base with it's factory stamped steel hood and in excellent original condition. It has an awesome history and any T collector would be proud to have this as part of their collection

I am not in a position to download pictures on the MTFCA site, so if interested, please provide me with a cell number and or email address and I will be happy to forward you several detailed photos.

When I acquired it about three years ago, the head was pulled and the pistons, cylinder walls and valves were all checked, as well as the lower end of the engine. It obviously is a very low hour totally original engine and the inside is absolutely beautiful, right down to the original Ford script cast iron pistons. It has a factory hand clutch for the Ford transmission to engage the output shaft, electric starter and also a factory Delco Remy distributor, along with a governor. Again, it is totally original and has never been altered, aside from a new head gasket and manifold gasket set. It starts right up and runs super with no smoke. The engine alone is worth more than I am asking for the whole complete unit, so somebody is going to get a wonderful deal. I have spent un-told hours painstakingly researching this power unit. Please take the time to read the following very interesting history of this little unit and I think you will be glad you did.

The Ersted Model T Power unit story began as a dream of Portland, Oregon industrialist Mr. Charles Frederick Swigert, who founded "ESCO", the Electric Steel Foundry Company on July 13,1913 in Portland, Oregon. Mr. Swigert was a very important man in the Portland area at that time and a great citizen of our Country. Some of his activities included:
* Executive with the Pacific Bridge Company
* Director of Portland's Street Cat Line
* President of Port of Portland Commission
* Deeply involved in the development of the "Rose City" (Portland)

ESCO manufactured trolley car wear parts, as well as parts to support the mining industry. It was a natural jump to locomotive parts and they also supplied parts to saw mills and timber operations in the Pacific North West, who were also very important early customers.

In 1929, ESCO joined forces with the Williamette Iron and Steel Corporation and formed a new company named Williamette Ersted Company. Also in 1929, a historic spin-off occurred. C.F. Swigert's son, Ernest Goodnough Swigert (also a Harvard graduate) was put in charge of a division specializing in log and lumber equipment under the Williamette-Ersted name. The Williamette part of the company's name was derived because the business was located along the banks of the Williamette River that flows through Portland, Oregon. This is where the Ersted Power Unit was born.

Under Ernest Swigert's direction, the company continually grew and in 1934 was re-named Hyster Company, who has become a world class producer of lift trucks and materials handling equipment. The name Hyster allegedly derives from a term commonly used by logging workers in the Pacific North West at the end of the 19th century. When a load of lumber was ready to be transported, a logger would yell "Hoist'er!" According to the Hyster company web page, this term became synonymous with Hyster trucks.

The Hyster Company was purchased in 1989 by NACCO Industries, Inc. and became part of NACCO Materials handling Group (NMHG), which continues to market products under the Hyster brand namearound the world, including North America, Canada, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. NACCO Industries, Inc is a Fortune 500 Company and currently does over 2.6 Billion in sales annually.

It is very interesting how the dream of one man has become a literal dynasty, just as with Henry Ford. Another interesting spin-off company from Ersted's humble beginning is Caterpillar, maker of heavy industrial equipment.

When you study the Ersted Power Unit, you immediately notice the high quality steel castings for the base sub-frame, engine mounts, the cast oil pan, as well as other related integral cast steel components. C.F. Swigert of the Williamette-Ersted Company and Henry Ford of Ford Motor Company partnered up together to bring this idea to reality. Ford Motor Company provided the power train components, less the stamped steel engine pan, with Ford providing Ersted with the pan construction drawings so Ersted could make the mold patterns for the sand cast steel engine pans.

This ultra rare and unheard of little power unit is truly a part of American history and I have only been able to locate one other living example in the world. This is probably because there were only a few hundred of these power units ever made and many ended up being victims of the World War II scrap iron drives in our Country. The original brass factory data plate is still in-tact on my unit and shows it is serial number 532.

I also researched Ernest Swigert's name and found the following obituary in a Portland newspaper.
12-8-1886 Edition: Ernest Goodnough Swigert, founder of Hyster Company, manufacturers of heavy equipment, died at his home in Portland, Oregon. He was 94 years old. He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Turrish and two sons, Ernest C. Swigert and Henry T. Swigert. He is also survived by two daughters, Nani Warren and Elizabeth Snow.

It is also interesting that Ernest G. Swigert's nephew, Robert C. Warren, Jr. (Sister's son) is currently listed as a board member of ESCO, as well as CEO of Cascade Corporation. One final bit of information. Ernest G. Swigert's home is currently listed in The National Register of Historic Places. It is located a 720 NW Warrenton Terrace, Portland, Oregon. It was built in 1934 and the architect was Mr. Folger Johnson. There is a beautiful photograph posted of the estate on-line.

I simply have too many toys and not enough room. I am pricing this unit way below what I feel it is worth, actually in hope that it will find a very good home in the Model T network. Who knows, maybe it will end up going back home to Portland, Orgegon. I have the unit priced at $1,850.00 and it can be picked up at my home in Gainesboro, TN. You can reach me by PM, my cell or by email.
Kind Regards,
Rick Rice
CELL: (330)714-8151
rickrice04@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Bump

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

SOLD AND GOING BACK HOME!
Thanks Jinn, you are a true gentleman!
Thanks MTFCA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Sorry Jim about the typo on your name. My big thumbs take too much room on my cell phone! Thanks again and talk soon.
Kind Regards,
Rick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration