Rare Hayes disc wheel with two rims,held on with full ring,not wedges

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Rare Hayes disc wheel with two rims,held on with full ring,not wedges
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

After much study I am relatively sure this is a Hayes outfit. Rims of this style will only fit this wheel. Very similar to a Tuarc disc,a full circle ring holds the rim on. Like a Chevy disc,I presume a plate is used on the outside center. This is all I have,no hubs or plates but it's very possible Chevy hubs and plates could be used. With all the different pieces,many different color combinations can be used. The reprint rim book I have lists these for 1919-25 Model T's. It is 30x3 1/2. There is some scaling on the rims but they don't look close to pin-holing. Putting a set of these together would probably be a challenge but you'd probably be the only one at the show with them. Like to get $225 and that would include boxing and shipping,paypal or check.picturepicturepicturepicturepicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

Please PM me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

Steve, Those look similar to my Buffalo Disc wheels. The Buffalos were offered with either clincher or straight sided rims. Do the rims have one "drive lug" that fits into a notch or hole in the wheel. Ill try to post a few pics of my wheels to compare them to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

Here are a few pictures of my Buffalo Disc wheels. They have 30x3-1/2 inch clinchers but the wheels were offered clincher or straight side as needed. Notice the single drive lug sticking out of the notch/hole, in the photo of the back side of the wheel. I can not tell how your wheels "drive" but yours and mine appear very similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, March 30, 2018 - 12:37 am:

Those are really close. Looks like yours have a bead around the center plate where mine has more of a hump. On mine the ring and the wheel have a notch,I'll have to look mine over again and see if something on the rim fits into those notches. They are across town at my storage bldg. Yours are sure in nice shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 30, 2018 - 02:05 am:

Donnie, I think the "single drive lug" to which you refer is there just to prevent the rim spinning on the disc, similar to the bridging piece on the loose lug demountables. The rim is likely to be wedged to the felloe when the mounting bolts are tensioned. There does not seem to be any wear/wallowing on the lug or hole to indicate it has been 'driving'.

I could be wrong again.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration