Open car armrest caps needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Open car armrest caps needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, March 30, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

I need a pair, one left and one right, of the covers/caps for the end of the wooden armrests on my '21 touring. Lang's has them in their catalog but I would like to have a pair with some natural patina. Thanks. Tommy 828-726-7664

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

Tommy-
Wide or narrow?
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

According to Bruce's book, the narrow caps started in model year 1921.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 11:47 pm:

Can someone tell me the dimensions, please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 11:20 am:

I have both - let me know which style you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

The narrow ones are about an inch wide, I just measured them on my 1925 Touring body.

I don't have any wide ones to measure, sorry. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

Steve I sent you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Steve, I am sorry I was away from home and it took me a while to get back and measure and photograph the caps. If Sam wants them by all means let him have them Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

It is not an absolute, because many things have happened to model Ts in the past 90+ years. Generally speaking, the five panel rear tub takes the wide ones, and the three panel tub takes the narrower ones. It actually depends less on the number of panels in the tub, and more on whether the upholstery attaches to the wooden tack strip on the outside of the body, or to the piece of wood that is also the wood structure of the seat back (the outside tack strip makes the need wider). How and where the upholstery is tacked on is also the determining factor on runabout/roadsters, which do not have a rear tub to count the panels on them.
Whether runabout or touring, the earlier style should have a lip on the seat sheet metal that is folded outward, while the later type seat panels go straight upward and stop at the inner wood (no lip folded out). 1921 is the crossover for touring cars (both styles used through much of the year). However on runabouts, there is still debate on when that change was made. Some people firmly believe the early style seat and upholstery changed shortly after the touring car changed (late '21/early '22), while others insist the early style continued on runabouts until other changes were also made in 1923. I won't take a stand on that issue until I know more myself.

As to what people have done in the past hundred years? I have seen at least two three panel touring cars that restorers had added an outer tack strip. And a few early style bodies that had the outer tack strips left out, the fold either flattened or cut off. Some people just like to confuse things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

I type slow. Tommy's picture shows the early outer tack strip style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Steve, let me know. Anybody, I still need a pair of caps. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

I'll dig the misc. bin out tomorrow - stuffed full of ham & too late to open the container !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Still need the caps. thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

I can't seem to locate my original caps - my apologies !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 09:31 am:

I have 2 that look to be original n.o.s. Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration