Low Garage for Model T or A? Problem solved!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Low Garage for Model T or A? Problem solved!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Lower your Model T or Model A by 7”(seven inches) to fit your tall car into a low garage. Up for sale is 4(four) trailer tires/rims and 4(four) custom machined adapters to fit a 5 lug 5.5” bolt pattern(standard Model A bolt pattern and Model T cars that have been changed to the Model A bolt pattern(5 X 5.5”)) that will lower your car 7” to get into low garages. I have a 26 Coupe that had Model A wire wheels on it, obviously with the 5 X 5.5” bolt pattern that I couldn’t get into my low garage. I bought four Kendra Trailer Tire On Rim #5230 4.80-8 480-8 8" 6 Ply LRC 5 Hole White and four adapters 4pc 1.5" Thick 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 Wheel Adapters (CHANGES BOLT PATTERN) with 1/2" Thread Pitch Studs / Nuts 5x139.7 to 5x114.3 Spacers sold by Smart Parts Co., machined them to perfectly fit car hubs and the trailer rims, that lowered my 26 Coupe 7”(seven inches) to get into my low garage. The calculation(a 30” tall Model T or A tire/rim minus the 16” tall Kendra trailer tire/rim is 14”, then divide that by 2 and you have lowered the car 7”(seven inches). I did this so I could garage my 26 Coupe. Maybe needless to say, I had to immediately change out the 4 trailer tires to the Model A tires as soon as I backed out of the garage, but that is how bad I wanted a Model T and what it took to get it in my garage the least expensive way. Now, after doing that for one year, since I couldn’t raise my house, I lowered my garage floor by breaking up the concrete floor, digging it out a few inches, then pouring a new floor that is now low enough to drive my 26 Coupe with now T wire wheels on it, straight into the garage – hurray for me!!!
Anyway, after this detailed explanation here… if you need to lower your Model T or Model A to fit in a low garage for storage, I have a solution here that will work. It assumes that you have a 5 X 5.5” bolt pattern though or you would need different adapters for 5 X 5” Model T wire wheel hubs to mount the Kendra trailer tires.
This solution probably sounds ridiculous to some if not all, but it worked for me for one year until I decided to modify my garage floor with that much larger expense.
Just FYI, the Kendra trailer tires were $120(don’t even have 100 yards on them), the adapters were $100, then $275 to get them machined for a perfect fit for the car hubs and the trailer rims, $60 for two sets of lug nuts, so I have over $550 in tires/rims, adapters, and lug nuts. I am asking $250 for the package(trailer tires/rims, the machined adapters, two sets of lug nuts). Send me a PM if you have any questions and I will attempt to answer. Thanks for looking and reading – I realize this got very long! Walt Wise
trailer tire pics
trailer tire pics
trailer tire pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Walt, can you post a photo of your 26-27 with these mounted? I'd really like to see the looks on my neighbor's faces if I bought a set and drove down my street with them on my 27 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

By the way, I'm serious about wanting to see how they'd look on a car. I'm not being sarcastic. I'd like to see the looks on their face. I could tell them that its a Model T low rider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Terry, I can't do that now because I was bound and determined that I would get Model A wire wheels off my Model T, which means different hubs since Model T wire wheels are 5 lug, 5 inch bolt pattern and Model A is 5 lug, 5.5 bolt pattern. I can tell you it did look ridiculous though when I had them on my 26 Coupe - like Andre the Giant(old deceased wrestler) with baby feet/shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:37 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Hey Walt, next time you have a house or garage built, ask them to put in 8 foot garage doors. We had our house built in 2016 and did just that, they are GREAT! But your idea for the short openings is absolutely fantastic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 10:38 am:

SWEET! If I didn't already have a tall trailer to pull my T, I'd consider these with a shorter height trailer for better wind resistance to and from tours or shows. Also, the shorter trailers are a dime a dozen used. All you'd need to do is swap wheels when you get to the destination. As my T stays outside during the tour, this wouldn't be a problem. What a great idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, April 16, 2018 - 09:17 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, April 16, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 07:44 am:

I looked at a go-cart made with a Model T engine and shortened up frame and drive shaft and they had this size wheels on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 08:43 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dysart - SoCal on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Just to clarify, are you saying that these adapters are not for stock Model T's, they are for Model A lug spacing only? And you are selling these because you converted your '26 coupe back to stock Model T parts and this whole setup no longer fits?

Keep crankin'
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

I tried to make this as clear as possible in my original ad. When I bought my 26 Coupe, it had Model A wire rim wheels on it which are 5 X 5.5" bolt pattern. That bolt pattern is what the adapters fit. So the setup fits ALL stock Model A's and any Model T like mine used to be with a 5 X 5.5" bolt pattern. A lot of the Model T speedster owners convert their cars to the 5 X 5.5" bolt pattern to be able to mount Model A wire rim wheels that have the reinforcing nose between the lug holes making them stronger. So if they need just "roller" tires for those cars, this setup would work. If you read the original ad real closely, it does explain this - at least I tried the best I could to explain it. In a nutshell as the saying goes, the setup will work to lower any A or T 7" if it has a 5 X 5.5" bolt pattern. You bolt the adapter to that patterned hub, with the lug nuts provided, then mount the trailer tire, then bolt the second set of lug nuts provided. If you have any questions and want to discuss if this would work for you, just PM me and we can hopefully contact each other over the phone to make the communication easier.

Additionally, as someone responded in the ad, this could lower your Model A or T to get in low trailers and even as someone else stated, would not subject your trailered cars with all the bouncing that could warp these 100 year old wire rims. Hope this helps?!! Thanks ! Walt Wise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Oh yea, to answer hopefully all the questions, I did get my 26 Coupe back to stock T hubs front/back. I wish it would have been that way when I bought it, it just was not. Lastly, I no longer need the "setup" since I lowered my garage floor by busting up the concrete, digging it out several inches, then re-pouring new concrete. Now I can drive my 26 Coupe, with stock T wire rim wheels straight into my garage - absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:51 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 11:00 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 10:56 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 10:31 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 06:12 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 06:50 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 06:37 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 10:05 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Friday, May 11, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:13 am:

To the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Wheels and adapters have found a new garage, so they are sold!!! Thanks MTFCA!!! Walt Wise

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration