What flux?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: What flux?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

I have a brazed repair in a water jacket that has a leak, otherwise everything is good, the babbit is excellent, and it's a '14 block so I want to use it, not replace it. I've seen the threads on soldering cracks and mention of Tintite flux to solder a cast iron block, but I don't know if that's OK with a brazed area. My thought is to use a cutter and remove the small areas that are leaking and solder them.

Any ideas on what I should use? I can take this to a local shop and have the brazing touched up if necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

I'd use Belzona Epoxy Repair on it Gary - pricey even for the small kit - 2 part epoxy but it's the best available. If you were a little closer, I'd have you throw the block in the car & head to Washington - I'd fix you right up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 01:43 am:

Gary:
as Steve stated ...there are several adhesive type materials that can effect a positive seal of non-structural cracks in motor blocks ...I have used super glue and also locktite porosity sealers while applying a vacuum to the block ...a good shop vac. can suck the sealer into the crack ...as with any repair , the preparation is important ...with sealers a good cleaning is critical ...hope this helps , and good luck on your project ...always an optimist...gene french

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration