Wtb treaded wheel bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: Wtb treaded wheel bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Looked around localy no luck need 1 set R & L
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Model A unthreaded will work fine and save a bunch of $ for new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Yes and model T ranch made thread savers
Just looking for usable old ones first

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 07:38 am:

Bob, best not to have tread on bearings. Smoooooth is better.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Jenkins - Ohio on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 07:41 am:

Ford used threaded outer bearings on there model Ts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 11:09 am:

I'll look later today Bob - I have several good, used sets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

Have good used set Timken, pair, left and right. $12 plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Allan

Why is smooth better? The T spindle is threaded for the reason to allow adjustment of the outer bearing, most important. The plain A bearing will wiggle on the threaded T spindle, IMO not the best thing.

The A uses a smooth spindle section to hold the A bearing.

The T is a different design requirement. Note the A bearing without threads on the left as removed from a T spindle. The end is all rough and rubbed away from contact, as the bearing couldn't be locked in place without threads. Plus the threads of that T spindle were worn down too.

The flats on the T bearing on the right are for the hub cap wrench to tighten up the bearing is setting the pre-load, can't do that with smooth A bearing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

Bob I have a set of NOS Timken bearings with seals Iíll take $200.00 for the set including shipping. If you are interested PM me or call me at 9097542360. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

Better buy Dan T.'s - mine aren't near that cheap !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Just sold the $12 pair by a telephone call from a forum member!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

I will sell you an NOS pair of bower Right and left thread bearing,We have run bower bearings in our T for 57 years and they are still like new Thanks Colin for 75.00 US plus shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

I have good used left and right outer threaded bearings for $40 each. They have never been rusty, are absolutely clean and ready to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

Dan sent you a pm
My email is Jalopyt@yahoo.com
Gonna pass on the NOS set Don thanks for the offer on them
I would put ball bearings in at that price
Low usage car anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 06:25 am:

Dan, there is a difference between treaded, as Bob's post is titled,and threaded!

Just my grade school teacher experience coming through. I still think tread on a bearing is undesirable.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Allan

You are correct, for wheel bearings a treaded one isn't suitable.

But a treaded or tracked muffler bearing is good for the requirements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Dan, you gave been taken in by a snake oil sales man. The model T muffler to tailpipe joint is meant to allow in and out movement as the pipe expands with heat. Instead of roller bearings allowing the pipe to rotate, muffler bearings require circular bearing rings to allow the pipe to go in and out as required.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration