WANTED, 1925 REBUILDABLE ENGINE OR BLOCK

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: WANTED, 1925 REBUILDABLE ENGINE OR BLOCK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Hi Folks,
Please be on the look-out!
I am on the hunt for a good re-buildable 1925 complete engine or block. I need one with a serial number in the 12,220,000 range to 12,240,000 range that has a casting date between June of 1925 to August of 1925. In a perfect world, it would have a serial number in the 12,230,000 range. I am trying to match the block as close as possible for my truck project.

Again, it can be a complete engine, or just a block, but I want a good block, as I don't want to be welding and chasing cracks.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and please feel free to contact me at any time. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind Regards,
Rick Rice
Cell (330)714-8151
Email rickrice04@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Rick, The 1925 blocks don't have a casting date. Ford stopped using casting dates and Ford Made In USA sometime in 1923. In general blocks from 1924 and 1925 are alike, (prior to the 1926 cars). You will have to go by the engine number range you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 11:09 pm:

Rick, Your engine number range is with in the 1926 type engines production numbers. June 1925 starts with engine number 11869208 and July 1925 end with engine number 12222528.

JUL 27 Engine production records, Ford Archives
Last old style engine (12,218,728) built at 5:51 P.M. and new (1926) type engines began on the third shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 12:42 am:

Check with Chaffin's Garage; I think they've got one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Dave Huson has like 50 blocks. I'd also give him a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Here's his number: 303-774-9246

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 03:37 am:

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your input, but I am a bit confused. I went to the MTFCA web site serial number/date of manufacture list and checked. Per the list:

AUGUST 1925 SERIAL RANGE:
Start Number: 12,222,529
Ending Number: 12,290,760

The exact original serial number for my 25 TT is 12,234,XXX. That tells me that my engine was completed in August of 1925, but the truck still has the old style pedals, not the newer style wide 26-27 pedals. Unfortunately, the truck also has a newer 27 replacement block (14,000,000 range) that is badly freeze-cracked in several places, hence the need for a correct replacement block.

The part that confuses me is where or how you got the last old style block without the two mounting holes in the back of the block was number 12,218,728, built at 5:51 PM and everything built after that number was the new style.
Questions:
1.) Where did you find that information?
2.) Would it be correct that my TT would have the new style block with the two rear bolt holes, but with the old style pedals? Per your statement that block #12,218,728 that was built at 5:51 PM, I can visualize how the combination of a new style block with old style pedals could take place.

If possible, can you or anyone else clear this up and educate me for what combination (old style/new style)engine and transmission should be in the truck? When I do the repairs, I want to make sure the combination is correct.
Thanks,
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Rick,
Hope this helps a little. Kevin is correct regarding the production of 25 engines and the switch over to 26 production in August, 1925. My source is the archived info in the McCalley book. Using your original serial number I think you have a 1926 vehicle, not a 25. As to your question on the mix of the old style trans mounted to a newer engine I don't know. I have found lots of changes that happened over time to Model Ts based upon what folks could find to use to keep them running. Or maybe it is a TT thing, I have never worked with TTs and would defer to those smarter than me about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Rick, The engine number information is at this MTFCA sight under, Encyclopedia. As in the 1919 change over from nonstarter to starter engines, the ones that take a generator, there was some overlap. Your original engine number of 12,234,XXX could have been Ford stamped on either type block, 1926 style wide pedal or 1925 style narrow pedal. Does your TT have your number 12,234,XXX stamped on the frame ? In general Ford used up the old style parts on the TT. I don't know if Ford made a engine with the new style 1926 block but the old style 1925 transmission and cover. If I was going with the small pedal type transmission I would use a 1925 type block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

Rick, I have two 1925 engine blocks at home. I'll check the serial numbers this evening. I'll send you a personal message with my phone number and you can call me. I'm in California, so we'll have to figure out shipping if I have something that will work for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Kevin and William,
Thanks for the update. When I get the truck back home, I will check the frame to see if it is stamped and then I will be one step closer to solving the puzzle. I'm betting it had the old style block and old style transmission, but will confirm.
Thanks again!
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 11:34 am:

The Improved Car engine, with the block re-designed with bosses for the new transmission with the wide brake band, transmission cover was also changed, that was made with serial #12,218,72'9' as posted.

The 'new model year' 1926 with the Improved engine and car, began in Aug. The factory was closed July 29-Aug 3, so first builds including TT would have been in that first week.

Records show Ford began print adv. in news media on Aug. 22 for the Improved Cars and Trucks.

later adv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

Rick, I checked the engine numbers. The best 1925 block I have is serial #11,995,xxx. It is the early style block without the trans cover support bolt holes in the rear. If you're interested, call me for additional details. Have fun out there!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration