"Shrinking" aluminum hood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Classifieds: "Shrinking" aluminum hood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

I was given an aluminum hood that someone sandblasted and warped the metal. Can it be shrunk with heat/cooling like sheet metal? What's the best way to straighten out (if possible)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

This is the classifieds section (mostly stuff for sale or wanted). You will get more and better answers on the regular forum.

But, the short answer is 'yes', heating and shrinking can be done on aluminum sheet metal.

HOWEVER! Doing so with aluminum is NOT quite like doing so with steel. There is NO glowing red to tell when the temperature is right. Aluminum goes from "still too cold" to "oops it has melted away" in about one second. It takes some practice to notice the very subtle change in color required to shrink aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Oops, I'll get it over to the forum.....sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 04:21 am:

No need for a "sorry", I just want you to get the best advice you can, from some of the best people that know. Our forum members.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration